Sturgeon Jumping

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

ShaneO19

Sturgeon Jumping

Post by ShaneO19 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Fished Black Lake for the past week. Generally slow fishing besides crappie in a few select areas. However the most exciting thing was seeing quite a large number of sturgeon jumping in the wide part of the lake. Especially in the 20 ft depth zone between Raspberry and Big Island. It wasn't constant jumping but on two calm occasions I either saw or heard one jump every 5 minutes or so on average. The best view of one I saw was about 30 feet away and came about 3/4 out of the water straight up. I would estimate it had to be 60+ pounds. Definitely the biggest fish I have seen in fresh water.

njmike

Re: Sturgeon Jumping

Post by njmike » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:00 pm

That must have been a cool to see. I know they are protected but are they hooked while fishing for other fish? Anyone on the site ever hook one? I would love to be able to check it off the list even if it was by mistake.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

ShaneO19

Post by ShaneO19 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:54 pm

I don't think they are very often hooked by mistake. They are bottom feeders so not much chance of hooking one with a lure. I know of people catching them on worms while bullhead fishing in other places though.

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:02 pm

They were jumping a lot this year and it seems like there are more now. During the afternoon of one of my recent trips in September, it got really calm and they were jumping every 5 minutes like you said. You hear different reasons for why they jump. I was told once that carp jump to knock the mud out of their gills while they are bottom feeding. I also noticed one sturgeon had a lamprey eel attached to it when it jumped. So I was thinking maybe that's why they jump. And they do get snagged by mistake. Jim at Log Cabins can show you a picture of one he snagged on a crankbait by accident last summer.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:39 pm

"Jim" can tell you why they jump too. I believe it's to rid themselves of parasites in their gills. Maybe other reasons too.
Did you guys and gals know that fish ladder were being built at the two dams between the lake and the St. Lawrence? The one at EelWire is complete. Ogdensburg is on the plan.
Funding is coming via the USFWS through the operational permits of the power dams. The ladders are being made part of the permit renewal. So, funding is basically being paid by all consummers.
Phil

njmike

Post by njmike » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:01 pm

What are your thoughts about the fish ladders? Do you think it will benefit or harm the lake? Were they installed because of the sturgeon or are there other fish that will migrate between the lake and the river?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

ShaneO19

Post by ShaneO19 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:23 pm

Do you know if there is any specific fish that is expected to use the ladders to travel back and forth? I think fish ladders are a great idea in general to offset the human influence of preventing migrations. However in this case I am concerned because it seems like an open invitation for Gobies to flood Black Lake which I am surprised hasn't already happened.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:30 am

Sturgeon are the main "target" of the project. Not sure what else would be able to use the ladders.
On the front of Gobies - I would not be so sure they are not in the lake.
Phil

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:40 pm

The fish ladder might explain the water level extremes we saw this year. I don't recall ever seeing the water stay that high so late into July and then turn around and get as low as it got in September.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:55 pm

Don't think the ladder was completed till late July. Don't be;lieve it will affect the lake levels. Three things to affect the level of the lake: Rain, locally, the Oswegatchie (drains the watershed from Cranberry Lake) and the Indian River. Rain in either of those two watersheds will have an effect. I saw several days of the lake being "filled" from both ends. There are no controls that affect the water level of the lake. Completely natural glacial lake flow, not man made.
Phil

jdsmith1

Post by jdsmith1 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:50 pm

Think. I hooked one once but not sure.0 knowledge on fish ladder but not to old to learn!Want to try the crappie fishing this May if I can get cottage