Boat docking

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

njmike

Boat docking

Post by njmike » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:38 am

As everyone waits for ice season to start I dream of spring. I purchased a house on the lake this past august on the north side of the lake in the area of the monument on CR6. The house came with a dock but it was not in the water this year. My wife and I plan on being at the house every weekend spring to fall. I would like to leave my boat in the water so I don't have to tow it to the launch. How much will the lake level change in one weeks time? I'm aware waves from storms could get pretty bad but besides storms what else should I consider? I have a small pontoon boat. The plan I was considering was using heavy weights with mooring buoys in 4 corners so the boat is free from the dock and essntially anchored to the lake bed. The only problem I see with that is if the water rises quickly and the ropes are to short they could break or lift the weights off the bottom. I would like to get a boat lift in the future but they also come with their own problems. Let me know what you think.

Thanks , Mike
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

Tori

Re: Boat docking

Post by Tori » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:09 am

Mike,
We have a summer cottage a little further north than you. The best thing to have is a floating dock as the waters of Black Lake at our end fluctuate a great deal. I do not have a floating dock so I have seen the water flow over my dock and I have seen the water recede until my boat was in jeopardy of being beached on the mud! My dock is anchored well so I have never had an issue with it being blown away by wind and waves.
I would suggest that you ask a friend near your cottage to keep you informed if there is danger ahead with the water levels! Just a phone call is needed.
Tori

njmike

Post by njmike » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:04 pm

Thanks Tori

I would love to get a candock or jet dock but they are pricy. The dock that came with the house is wooden with pipes that hold it in place. That's why I would like the boat to be free from the dock and anchored to concrete weights. You are also right that attentive neighbors are invaluable for keeping an eye on things.

Thanks, Mike
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

SKIPPY56

Post by SKIPPY56 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:48 pm

YES MY CAMP IS AT ROCK ROAD FLOATING DOCK BEST BET ENJOY YOUR NEW CAMP THIS IS HEAVEN

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:00 am

I've had my place for two seasons now. I've seen the water move over a foot in a week, which is kind of a lot but wouldn't have much impact on an anchored boat.

As for docks, my place came with a cobbled together floating dock that I hated. It took forever to put it in and take out it didn't move very well up and down on the poles so it could still get swamped. Plus, it was unsteady to walk on.

I replaced it with a high quality roll in dock on large plastic wheels. I absolutely love it!!! It's rock solid and adjusts up and down without having to get in the water ... you simply turning a crank.

I only come up a few times per year, so I have someone keep an eye on the levels and adjust the dock if needed. Two or three height adjustments is all you need throughout the entire season.

njmike

Post by njmike » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:24 pm

Good info thanks. For the floating dock owners, what are you using? Plastic drums? Anyone have any problems with muskrats chewing into the drums?

Thanks, Mike
D. Larson

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:58 pm

Used to have a combo dock that I built myself. It was a three piece wood sectional twelve feet long. Underneath I had barrows for flotation. During the camping season I would stable the dock by using pipes. If the lake went up a couple of feet the whole dock would then float. Otherwise it worked great. My boat was always safe as I had fenders between the dock and the boat. As the years went by it seemed that the dock was heavier each year. It got so I couldn't handle it anymore so I gave it away and purchased one of those roll in docks with large plastic wheels. Problem solved! Nice and light and ever so easy to move around. These docks are pricey but well worth the cost. Best thing, they will last forever. Should any one be interested in these docks you can see them across the road near the Log Cabin Store. Information is available in the shed nearby. Catch & Release!!

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:06 pm

RE :Floating docks - used plastic drums. No, I never had any trouble with muskrats or any other animal chewing into them. They are good to go should you go that way.

njmike

Post by njmike » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:33 pm

Great, thanks again for the information.

Mike
D. Larson

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:51 pm

As far as leaving your boat tied up for extended periods of time .... there are tons of folks up and down the lake who leave their boat in all year. They just use really good bumpers and high quality lines .... and leave maybe a foot of slack.

I'd much rather tie my boat up to a solid dock than leave it anchored somehow.

irishman13

Post by irishman13 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:38 am

If you are looking for any plastic drums we are looking to sell a bunch. We have 40gal drums probably as many as 12-15 (I would let you know for sure come spring). $20.00/drum.

After years of fighting with different dock designs that were such a pain to get in and out, and move to adjust with water levels we have found the ultimate solution. We took an old pontoon boat, stripped it down to the deck. We pull it in and out with our trailer and anchor it with poles. What used to be a 6 man 4hr job is now a 2 man 30min job. Life is good! 8)

njmike

Post by njmike » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:05 am

Irishman,

That's a good idea. I'm guessing you have deep water at your shoreline? I have a shallow gradual slope. I would need something between land and the toon.

Thanks
D. Larson

irishman13

Post by irishman13 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:51 am

njmike wrote:Irishman,

That's a good idea. I'm guessing you have deep water at your shoreline? I have a shallow gradual slope. I would need something between land and the toon.

Thanks
No we do not have deep-water. Usually 7ft. max at the end of the dock. Especially this year it was waste deep at the end of the dock. We build a wooden ramp that sits on shore to go out to the dock. This year we had to adjust the dock a few times because of water level but it takes minutes and 1 person can do it.

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:09 am

I'd say you definitely have deep water :wink:

My dock is almost 70 feet long, including the ramp .... and when the water is low I only have two feet at the end.

But the pontoon idea is a darn good one. Even if the water gets really low, part of the pontoons could just sit on land. Two old pontoon boats connected with a little bridge could get you 50 feet of good sturdy, wide floating dock for not much money. I like it!

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:19 am

I dug up these pics on the internet. What a darn good idea!!!

You could even throw a motor on it, run it down to the state launch at the end of the year, and pull it out with a trailer.

To me, the only down side to this (and all floating docks really) is the need to pound in and remove poles every year. That's certainly not an easy job. Which is what makes roll in docks so nice.

I wonder if there is a better way to secure floating docks than to use poles.