Boat docking

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

irishman13

Re: Boat docking

Post by irishman13 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:39 am

MrSimon wrote:I dug up these pics on the internet. What a darn good idea!!!

You could even throw a motor on it, run it down to the state launch at the end of the year, and pull it out with a trailer.

To me, the only down side to this (and all floating docks really) is the need to pound in and remove poles every year. That's certainly not an easy job. Which is what makes roll in docks so nice.

I wonder if there is a better way to secure floating docks than to use poles.

We are looking at the possibility of securing the dock to land by running steel tensioned wire out to the dock. The ramp would still be going from shore to the dock so it should would prevent the dock from floating back into shore. Just ideas now, we haven't tried it. Our anchoring poles are so easy to put in and take out. Like I said, we had to move the dock every time we were at the lake this year because of water level and it was easily accomplished with 1 person.

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:06 pm

In my past post I mentioned that I stabalized my dock with pipes which were driven into sand. The purpose of this wasn't only to keep the dock from moving but also to keep it roughly two feet above the water level. Only when the lake comes up a lot would the whole system float. Once it goes down the docks weight more or less lets it settle again thus providing stability. Works great for me! Catch & Release!!

njmike

Post by njmike » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:17 pm

A good way to sink poles into the lake bed is jetting them in. If you have sand/mud/silt use a submersible pump to flow water thruough the pipe as you hold it just off the bottom. the water flow displaces the mud and the pole will sink into the bottom without any effort. once you turn off the water the mud settles back to the bottom and the pole is set. I have done this before (not on black lake) to help a friend put in his dock. you can see it in action on youtube.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson