Almost a newbie to crappie fishing and black lake.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Jhnmcggh

Almost a newbie to crappie fishing and black lake.

Post by Jhnmcggh » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:03 am

As far as Black lake, spent a weekly vacations with my younger sons back in 87 & 88. Also spent four days bass fishing( two practice days and two day tournament) The lake was pretty good to me, believe I took 4th place out of 67 fisherman.(Late June 93).
But as age and physical limitations have taken their toll, I have lessened my bass fishing and turned to tarnishing, less demanding on the body. I'm only 62 but a car accident caused some limitations.
Anyways, I've talked five of my old fishing buddies (53-64) into a trip to Black Lake May 19-21. We would primarily be interested in catching crappie and walleye.
As I stated we are all basically new to fishing for these species. I believe water temp of 55-60 degrees would be a good time to find crappie starting to move shallow to spawn. This would be schools setting up in 4_8 feet on rock shoals or in tight around shoreline reeds. Also been reading about dock shooting, but can't remember the number of docks on lake would make this a reasonable presentation. Also have been reading up on a presentation called spider rigging. But will have to check into by a law to see if there are amy limitation to this presentation.
The biggest variable that is going to affect our success will be the water temperature and wind factor. I know the prime water temperature can changes slightly yearly, but was wondering from some of you Black Lake experienced crappie fisherman, if you we're limited to only being able to pick one week of the year to crappie fish, it would be?
I believe it will be at least a yearly tradition. So, I'm just trying to put my buddies on the water at the best time.
Thanks
Jhnmcggh

ShaneO19

Re: Almost a newbie to crappie fishing and black lake.

Post by ShaneO19 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:11 pm

I would say your dates could be about right or slightly late. This will be my 4th spring of having a place on the lake. The first two weeks in May have been the best crappie fishing for me. Has started to tail off around or just after your May 19-21 dates. But this is only based on the last 3 years and every year is going to be different.

Jhnmcggh

Post by Jhnmcggh » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:39 pm

Appreciate knowing what time of year the ice has melted on the lake, were it is safe for navigation of boats. Thought I saw a couple of past post talking about ice on lake middle of April?
Thanks for your assistance. You been out for crappie yet?

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:18 am

Spring crappie are really easy to catch. But finding them can sometimes be a challenge.

If you drive around the lake in early May you'll see most of the boats are anchored fairly close to shore tossing out live bait under a float. Some guys like points, some weeds, some rocks, some dropp-offs, and some get way back in the bays looking for green growth. Truth be told, all of those places CAN hold fish, it's just a matter of finding the ones that DO hold fish.

Crappie fishing is more like crappie hunting. Sometimes we just troll really slow along the shore dragging roadrunners behind us. I watch the side imaging closely and can usually spot large schools of fish. Once we find the fish with the electronics or the roadrunner, we switch to jigs.

wishin fishin

Post by wishin fishin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:45 am

I've been going to black lake for the past 30+ years at all times in the spring. I find the 3rd week of May to be the best - not too early or late. We have our old haunts, but you must move around to find them. Some spots will have a morning bite and some and afternoon or evening bite. We are on both sides the deep and shallow sides, none is better than the other. One night we were out till dusk then it got dark - OMG the big one began hitting, it was non stop could not use two rods. We get our mostly in the bays.
I would also have a rod set-up for northerns and bullhead because they will be there, not to mention the out of season bass.
Good luck

John M

Post by John M » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:34 pm

Just about in the same boat