Water temperature

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Jhnmcggh

Water temperature

Post by Jhnmcggh » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:05 pm

Ok, finally got myself squared away. Appreciate if someone would let me know the current water temperature.
Thanks

Jhnmcggh

Re: Water temperature

Post by Jhnmcggh » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:15 pm

You can disregard this request. I found the administrators reference site for local conditions to include water temperature
Thanks

John M

Post by John M » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:19 pm

Seeing that the topic has attracted quite a few viewers, it is apparent they are as lost as was I.
Under General section will will fine Announcements. Under this section is "lake temperature". Under water temperature you will find a link to water temp sensor. Hit water temp sensor and you will get valuable information concerning lake conditions
But a critical element especially for predicting crappie spawning season is the current water temperature. This is located at the bottom page called "Extra Sensors" Extra sensor 2 will give you the current,high and low water temperature for the day.

John M

Post by John M » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:53 pm

Ok, have been following the lake temperature daily. Can't believe the variance daily 8-10 degrees. It is apparent that the water temperature sensor is a surface temperature sensor. Now, I'm interested in water temperature to get a feel of when the crappie begin spawning. Assuming that we have about 12 hours of the sun heating the surface of the water daily. And about 12 hours where the warming effect of the sun either recedes or becomes nill. So my unscientific solution would be to average the high and low temperatures for the daily surface temperature. Now, I need to figure out a calculation on what the water temperature would be within a foot or two of bottom in 1-4 feet of water. It is my brief that water temperature within a foot or two of the bottom dictates when the crappie will start the different stages of the spawn not the surface temperature. So my guess would be about 2 degrees below the average surface water temperature. So a lake with a high water temp of 55 degrees and a low of 45 degrees during the day would be 50 minus 2 = 48.
As I stated, this is a guesstimate on my part. if anyone is of a different opinion please state your thought pattern and state whether it is based on a guesstimate or scientific data.
Thanks

John M

Water temperature

Post by John M » Tue May 03, 2016 4:23 pm

If anyone has the capability of taking the water temperature in the lake, at 3-4 feet, it would be appreciated. The surface water temperature has been so variable lately. One day, the high was in the mid 60's and the low in the mid 30's. Looking for a more consistent water temperature, one that has minimum hourly influence by the sun. A more true representation of the lakes water temperature. Thanks in advance.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Tue May 03, 2016 6:25 pm

3-4 ft over what overall depth would you like that temp taken? It varies in areas of current as well. I can give you a temp, but don't think it will help you much. Next week is going to be near 70 and sunny, daytime. That's going to mean a lot to the fishing on Black Lake.
Phil

wishin fishin

Post by wishin fishin » Wed May 04, 2016 9:24 am

...yea baby!!

John M

Post by John M » Wed May 04, 2016 11:22 pm

Phil,
Pretty ignorant on water temperature stratification in a body of water. Thirty years of bass fishing it was never relevant. Season opened third week June. If I was fishing down south would have been more relevant. But now that I'm starting to crappie fish have a lot of learning to do. In my reading I have learned that the crappie actually spawn between 65-75 degree water. Some articles state 68-72 degrees . Now I have been observing daily black lakes surface water temperature. It varies daily with the affects of the sun. One day it varied about 30 degrees. What I'm trying to figure out, is what is the lakes constant temperature would be at 4-8 feet. I would guess that it is about 45 degrees. Then by looking at the projected long term forecast, make a determination whether I will be vacationing pre spawn or spawn cycle.
I fully realize many fisherman confuse the pre spawn with spawn because the fish are actively feeding to get ready for the physical strain of the spawn, both the females and males.
Now, I know this will draw negative comments from others. But fishing is different for each individual. You will never fine an alcoholic beverage in my boat. When I fish I fish. Probably make 100-150 cast an hour. When I drink,I drink, don't want to be bothered with casting or on the water. I guess my wife is tolerant, in that, I don't have to combine both because of free time limitations. This manner of learning and acquiring the necessary knowledge to increase my ability to catch more fish is relaxing to me.
By the way have caught thousands of bass in my life time and only ate one.
Now if its walleye,crappie,perch,bluegill I have eaten quite a few of them, But about 75% of the time it's catch and release. Just to tired to clean fish after 8-9 hours on the water, casting and retrieving all day long. Just so boring for me to sit and wait for the bobber to go under. Now I said boring for me, not insinuating that this presentation is boring. In fact I do some form of it when dropshoting, and ice fishing.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Thu May 05, 2016 4:20 am

John.
That temp gauge is located in about 5-6 fow. Take the cloudy day reading and you will be close to your mark, for that location. Probably a little warmer back in the bays. If the water is high, the crappie will be back in the flooded woods of some bays.
Phil

John M

Post by John M » Thu May 05, 2016 9:53 am

Thanks, now how far under the water surface is it located?
Thanks

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Thu May 05, 2016 10:11 am

Varies with lake level, when it was installed - about 3 ft.
Phil