Black lake map review.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

John M

Black lake map review.

Post by John M » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:35 am

Have been busy studying the map of black lake in anticipation of my initial crappie trip to the lake. Looking to orientate myself to the crappie holding areas of Black lake( shoals,points,bays with access to deeper water). But the person (s) that originally names these lake features didn't make it easy. A little bit confusing with duplicating names. Example would be the bays big, Bog, deep. There is an upper and lower deep bay( the deepest water in both bays) is 9 & 6 feet respectively. There is also a upper and lower Bog bay. The upper and lower is determined by which is down stream. But with Big bay it gets further complicated by the fact there are three. Now you would think big bay would be geographically located between upper big bay and lower big bay. But no, it's actually big bay is the most southern then upper and lower big bay as you travel down stream.
But the most confusing aspect of Black lake Is Jennies Island. Do you know where it is located? If you think you do, your probably be right and wrong. You see there two Jennies islands. There is one located just north of Lonesome cove. My recommendation would be to refer to this one as Little Jennies Island. Then there is a Jennies Island located just north of Booth Island/Mitchels Bay. My recommendation would be to refer to this island as Big Jennies Island.
Hopefully i'll get these locations differentiated in my head. If not, I'll just have to program my GPS with their waypoints.
Hopefully the lake will fish easier than my ability to comprehend it's location of different structures( fishing spots)

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Black lake map review.

Post by Phil » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:06 am

John, all part of the fun - good luck getting locals to change how they refer to certain features of the lake. :big-grin:

Try this on-line map? https://www.google.com/maps/@44.4980596 ... qWTk?hl=en
Phil

John M

Post by John M » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:59 am

Thanks Phil, not really concerned with changing locals lake references. Just illustrating to other non local fisherman the confusion they might encounter when attempting to locate fishing spots other have recommended. .

ShaneO19

Post by ShaneO19 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:04 pm

"Little" Jennies Island is actually Rush Bed Island officially on the taxes. Don't really know the story of why it is called Jennies but I wouldn't mind changing it if I knew how.

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:33 pm

Another way of looking at the various names of areas of the lake would be that confusion hides the secret fishing spots that we all have. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John M

Post by John M » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:46 pm

Thanks Shane. Spoken like an individual that has a cottage
On Jennies Island, aka Rush bed island. Or it is probably the other way around. So, what percentage of the islands in Black lake are occupied for recreational purposes?

492VS

Post by 492VS » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:29 pm

The camp on jennies island has been for sale for a few years. Buy it and re name it.