WOW!!!!!!!!

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

tr21

Re: WOW!!!!!!!!

Post by tr21 » Sun May 01, 2016 11:37 am

Bob.O I just checked the Regs for DEC Region 6 St.Lawrence County. There are no special Reg saying crappies have to be 10 in. So if you want to keep 9.s fine, if not fine.

John M

Post by John M » Sun May 01, 2016 1:41 pm

Thanks for the recommendation of using braid line in case you catch a northern etc. In bass fishing, I have been using 50 or 65 # braid for flipping, pitching, even flogging. Any time I'm fishing thick cover or around thick cover, to both get and prevent the fish from getting tangled in the cover. In also use it for the sensitivity aspect. Drop shotting on my spinning reels(s). But I always tie a fluorocarbon leader of 2 to 6 feet of 8,10# line. It is less visible in the water, is more sensitive than mono and has some degree of stretch. Braid has virtually none. I have taken my dropshoting techniques over to ice fishing also, with great success. This is a form of bullhead fishing years ago or a perch rig.
With the exception that the hooks are tied directly to he main line by polamar knots. If using one hook, tie on line using a polamar knot making sure the point of the hook is the higher side(so fish gets hooked in upper lip). When you tie the Palomar bring the end of the line 15-24. Pinch line close to hook and use tag end of line to make knot . Google both uni knot and polamar knots if need. But the most important finishing part is take the tag end of line thru the top end of the hook(then attach weight). This keeps the line suspending out from the line in upward position. You than apply a weight to line(dropshot weight) 1/4 -1/2 weight. The weight sits on the bottom, the hook will suspend 12-36 off the bottom. (perch keep it short -12 inches top, crappie- try different lengths until you find the depth the fish are suspending at. By law, I believe, you can have five lures attached to one line, with max of 15 hook points. But these hooks have a single point However you are still limited to the 5 single hook points because each would be considered a lure. Normally only use one hook, but for panfish I sometimes use two about twelve to twenty four inches apart inches above. Many times I'll substitute the bottom weight with an actual jig head.
Good luck if, anyone tries it.

Ps: I use 10 # braid on my spinning reels not 50-65 lb.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sun May 01, 2016 6:29 pm

When talking about braid I only go by diameter. The test is a bonus but your reel is telling you what pound test to use in "standard line" I couldn't tell you what pound test I use for braid because I just don't care. I always use the diameter line my reel tells me. I have used many brands of braid over the years and the preferred brand is Berkly power pro, holds knots real well and fly's off the spool well. I always wrap very thin double stick tape around the spool before winding the spool, braid has no stretch and will spin around on the spool if you get that big one on and he strips off 3/4 of your line. As for a fluorocarbon leader at black lake I don't care the crappie don't seem to be line shy. When I trout fish I do. When fishing for Pike I like to use a 10" titanium leader, the are very thin for the test they provide and never get kinked up from the lure spinning.
Catch and Release the big ones!!
Practice Conservation

erik

Post by erik » Sun May 01, 2016 7:12 pm

We pm'd! And your still looking for info! Im butt hurt big time! Here's how I ultimately figured the lake out Search for a white haired guy or gal fishing in a row boat. Mark that spot comw baxk when they leave. That's my secret!

wishin fishin

Post by wishin fishin » Mon May 02, 2016 12:11 pm

Whats up with the weather? Heading up for our annual trip (30 yrs. and counting) 5/13. The forecast is looking to be very cool if not cold. We will need a few days of sun to trigger crappie movement but, its not looking like much. We've been in this position before and will have to get creative and go after them in deep water, if this cold snap persist. Any suggestions on technique?

Spring is so unpredictable!!!
erik wrote:We pm'd! And your still looking for info! Im butt hurt big time! Here's how I ultimately figured the lake out Search for a white haired guy or gal fishing in a row boat. Mark that spot comw baxk when they leave. That's my secret!

danielsardina

Post by danielsardina » Mon May 02, 2016 1:48 pm

John, you seem to be a highly intelligent fisherman who will have little difficulty finding crappie on your own. Like you, I always attempt to do as much research as I can when fishing a new body of water. The anticipation of a fishing trip can be as exciting as the fishing itself, and the research is part of the anticipation. I have not spec (crappie) fished black lake, but I have caught many spec as by catch while bass fishing. The one recommendation I would have for you would be to fish at least one pole at the correct depth you determine with 4 to 6 lb flouro or mono without the braid. Although you are tying on a leader, it is possible the braid will cost you a few fish. With rods with braid and a leader and straight flouro or mono, you may see there is a difference, especially if the water is clear. If you don't notice a difference, stick with the braid. Slip bobbers and drop shotting are always great tactics to try and will likely give the best results, but I have had many days crappie fishing when the least difficult method, a split shot about 8" above the hook works best. I use minnows when doing this, but if you exclusively use artificials, gulp alive works. I only use artificials for most species, but crappie and catfish are my exceptions.