Nice Black Lake mention in NY Game and Fish Mag.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

njmike

Nice Black Lake mention in NY Game and Fish Mag.

Post by njmike » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:20 am

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/2 ... ing-spots/

Nice to see BL is up there with Oneida, St. Lawrence, Lake Ontario, and some other well known spots in NY.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

492VS

Re: Nice Black Lake mention in NY Game and Fish Mag.

Post by 492VS » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:40 am

Bass fishing has never been the same on the lake since Field and Stream magazine released an article of the top lakes in the USA listing Black Lake as #3 in the early 90's.

So in reality any news is bad news for fish, but good news for local economy.

njmike

Post by njmike » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:47 am

Thought it was a good thing for the area. I like the area as it is but think the local economy could benefit from good PR. I am only a camp owner and don't live there full time but IMO additional tourism is a benefit.

WELCOME TO BLACK LAKE, NY - A FRESHWATER FISHERMAN'S PARADISE
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

sickntired

Post by sickntired » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:42 pm

You're right, bass fishing isn't the same as in the 90's. It's better! We've been fishing here since 1984 and we have never caught 2# to 4# bass as much as we do now. Back then if we caught 40 bass between the two of us all week we did good. These days we sometimes catch up to 80 bass or more a day. ( And some days we don't !) But, my point is we never caught 80 a day on the 1990's. 8 was a great day. Largely due to the new regs and nothing to do with the magazine article.

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:53 pm

sickntired wrote:You're right, bass fishing isn't the same as in the 90's. It's better! We've been fishing here since 1984 and we have never caught 2# to 4# bass as much as we do now. Back then if we caught 40 bass between the two of us all week we did good. These days we sometimes catch up to 80 bass or more a day. ( And some days we don't !) But, my point is we never caught 80 a day on the 1990's. 8 was a great day. Largely due to the new regs and nothing to do with the magazine article.
Agreed. The number of nice healthy bass in the 2-4 pound range is through the roof .... and it's due to the 15" minimum limit.

Now, imagine what the lake would be like if that minimum were 18 .... or 20. Or, if it stayed at 15, but all fish over 20 had to be released.

There is more and better bass food/habitat in Black Lake than any other lake I've ever seen. With just a few small tweaks to the regulations, it would go from a good solid bass lake to one of the best in the World. I truly believe that.

492VS

Post by 492VS » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:01 pm

I'll take it you both never fished in the heavy weeds back before then. Broom stick rod. 1 1/2 oz weight lifting 5 lb bass directly from under the boat like tuna fishermen. Too each is own.

Shad Rap

Post by Shad Rap » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:26 pm

492VS wrote:I'll take it you both never fished in the heavy weeds back before then. Broom stick rod. 1 1/2 oz weight lifting 5 lb bass directly from under the boat like tuna fishermen. Too each is own.
Slight exaggeration but yeah...those bass are still there...