Edwardsville Corner Store

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Fishpro

Edwardsville Corner Store

Post by Fishpro » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Visited my camp for last time for season. Noticed workers working on the old store at Edwardsville. First I thought they were dismantling it but then noticed sections being restored. Has someone bought the store and plan to reopen it? Would be great if that is what is happening. Any one out there have any info? Catch & Release!!!!

njmike

Re: Edwardsville Corner Store

Post by njmike » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:41 pm

Same here. My wife and I were leaving on Sunday and saw workers carrying in lumber. I would be great if it was reopened in some way but it would also be good if it were torn down. I hate to see dilapidated buildings.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:46 pm

I heard - 2nd hand, now - A beauty salon. 8)
Phil

Yanacocha

Post by Yanacocha » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:10 am

I heard, this summer.... second hand, a Black Lake museum....Now that would be a fishtastic idea!

nitro205

Post by nitro205 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:36 am

I heard beauty salon too, from a reliable source.

njmike

Post by njmike » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:27 am

Not as cool as a Tackle Shop / Beer Garden / Gun Shop / BBQ Spot / Cigar Shop :D , but still better than an abandoned building. I wish the business owner luck.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:54 am

Beauty Salon? They need that as much as they need a hole in the head. I know there are a lot crabs and catfish around but a Beauty Salon. Really? :D :roll: :roll: If I were to set up a business I would consider anything but what is now available (minus a beauty shop of course). A sportshop or a nice restaurant would be the best choice ever. Coming up with something needed is way more profitable and sustainable and doesn"t impede existing enterprises in the immediate area. Should be interesting to watch. Alas if only Tom Fishel were still at the corner store. Catch & Release!!!!!!

Musky hunter

Post by Musky hunter » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:27 am

I believe Tom Fishel is working in Gouverneur. I wish him the best.

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:28 am

It's a tough area to run a business. Most places have to shut down for almost half the year.

Maybe something like a beauty salon will have year-round appeal and the owner can do OK. I hope so.

It's hard to say what the "best" business would be for that spot. There are already a bunch of mom n' pop restaurants/bars in the area, so I doubt another one would do well .... unless it's amazing.

Bait/tackle shops are pretty well covered too.

A coffee shop maybe. Or a pizza/sandwich shop that delivers. I wonder if an on-the-water delivery service for food/beverages would fly.

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:53 am

Other than McClears, Spicy Olive in Hammond and the Paddle Inn which I can never find open, there arn't too many good places to eat. Still think a fine restaurant would be the answer. As for Tom Fishchel - last I heard he was working at the Price Chopper in Ogdensburg, In any case I wish him the best there is . He is a really good person and his meats were outstanding back in the day. Whatever the store will be turned into, I wish the best for the owners and the area. At the very least we can do away with an eye sore that currently exists. Catch & Release!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:39 pm

Don't forget Mack's, Turners, Echoes, Bedrock Cafe, and Ella's in Morristown.

But you have a point, even though all those places have good food, I wouldn't call them a "nice restaurant". I sure wouldn't complain about a good place to eat considering I can walk to that location in 5 minutes.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:51 pm

How about a decent take-out place? They could make deliveries out to ice fishers in the winter months. :big-grin:
There's a place in Chaumont that does it they stay busy when the ice is good.
Phil

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:56 pm

Lots of good ideas guys.!!! Most of the existing establishments are for fast food preparation and sale. No complaints whatsoever - they do provide great food to go. For my knowledge - were are Macks and the Bedrock cafe located? Not aware of these two establishments. Could be they are more to the Northern part of the lake. Since I'm near Edwardsville I tend to limit myself to that general area. Like most of us once we get to our destination we all tend to stay there. Having a real nice restaurant in the immediate area would be my choice over all the others. As for a delivery style service this could be incorporated for use by the same restaurant during the the Duck and Ice season periods. Catch & Release!!!

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:35 pm

Fishpro wrote:Lots of good ideas guys.!!! Most of the existing establishments are for fast food preparation and sale. No complaints whatsoever - they do provide great food to go. For my knowledge - were are Macks and the Bedrock cafe located? Not aware of these two establishments. Could be they are more to the Northern part of the lake. Since I'm near Edwardsville I tend to limit myself to that general area. Like most of us once we get to our destination we all tend to stay there. Having a real nice restaurant in the immediate area would be my choice over all the others. As for a delivery style service this could be incorporated for use by the same restaurant during the the Duck and Ice season periods. Catch & Release!!!
Macks's is in Edwardsville, directly across from Echoes. It opened a year or so back. I assume it's still open, but don't know for sure. I ate there a handful of times and had no complaints.

The Bedrock Cafe is towards Morristown. Go up out of Edwardsville until you hit the main road. Turn right, it's about a mile or so up the road on the right. Food is pretty good, but it seems a bit pricey. They have good homemade deserts.

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks Mr. Simon for the info on the restaurants. Funny - I go to Echos all the time and never have noticed Mac's restaurant. As for the Bedrock Cafe I believe I went there many years ago when I was heading to Ogdensburg. Oh well anyway , it will be interesting to see what business does open at the Edwardsville corner. Catch & Release!!!!!!!