Edwardsville Corner Store

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Musky hunter

Re: Edwardsville Corner Store

Post by Musky hunter » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:55 pm

With all the comments I've read regarding bass size violators as well as some other shady stuff I have been observing, how would a DEC substation be received at the intersection?

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:06 pm

A Sub station by the DEC would be the best thing that could happen. Since Black Lake is known as one of the premier Bass lakes, one would think there would be a lot better surveilance of the water source. A sub-station at the Edwardsville corner would be the ideal location also. I'm quite sure that if this were to come to pass the DEC could rake in the money in fines and the fishery would benefit to a large degree. Catch & Release!!!!

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:26 am

What does a sub-station do?

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:36 am

A Sub station is just an extension of the main Head Quarters. Having a couple DEC personnel assigned to it would provide a lot better service and law enforcement. It doesn't necessary mean a full time situation but it would be a loud voice to those who violate the game laws. Being in the immediate area, the word gets out that violations won't be tolerated and that culprits will be caught and fined. Actually I'm surprised that this is even brought up. It is self explanatory and just like your State Police and Police stations, better law enforcement is always good and more productive. Taking care of our Natural Resourses is just as important as any other law enforcement. Catch & Release!!!

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:37 pm

That's interesting.

I agree, having one around the lake would be a good idea. But, as a tax payer, I wouldn't want it to be in such a prime location. I'd rather see a business go in there and the sub-station be placed somewhere cheaper, but still close by and prominent.

I have to admit though, while poaching and other illegal activities is bad, it's not THAT big of a problem around the lake. I've been fishing there for many years and have rarely seen illegal fish kept. I hear about it on the internet a lot, but I don't see it first hand. I would whole-heartedly support regular rounds from a DEC officer though. Actually, instead of a sub-station, I'd rather just have an officer spend one day per week making rounds through the camps, at the ramp, and out on the water. Keep it random and that simple presence would deter a LOT of rule-breakers. Not to mention it would encourage people to actually register their boats.

What I DO see first hand is people filling coolers day after day with their limit of fish. Even though it's technically legal, that kind of harvest is the number 1 threat to the fishing on Black Lake. Catch & release all the way!!!!!!

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:23 pm

Mr Simon - your comments were well put in regard to where the so-called Sub station could be situated. Actually as long as it is somewhere close to the lake and the law enforcement is there is all that's matters. Just the presence of DEC and the crack down on violators would be very beneficial. I too have seen so-called sportsman taking undersized fish. One time it was right in front of my cottage. When mentioned to the guy about the Bass legal size limit he looked at his buddy and they both laughed. Then into their basket they went. Were is a DEC when you need them? :( OH well. Getting back to the original thought concerning the Edwardsvile corner, I wish to say whatever it turns out to be I wish the best to whomever opens a new business. You will have already helped the area by doing away with an eye sore. Catch & Release!!!

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:02 pm

I do appreciate that the new owners are preserving and renovating the existing structure. I'm sure it's costing them more than knocking it down and starting over, but it's a nice touch to the community who have seen that building standing there for decades.