Ogdensburg Dam Bypass Threat

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Musky hunter

Ogdensburg Dam Bypass Threat

Post by Musky hunter » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:14 pm

While attending the Syracuse Outdoor Sports Expo, I spent time with the "sturgeon guys" whom are at all the shows hyping the DEC's successful reintroduction program, especially BL and the Oswegatchie River. We all agreed that the Fishway around the Heuvelton dam is a big win for sportsmen. I also learned that the Eel Weir dam has a new fishway too.
Now for something to ponder. The Ogdensburg dam is remains the only barrier between the St. Lawrence and the Oswegatchie and may be considered for a possible fishway in the next few years. A lot of "environmentalist types" will be lobbying for that bypass to be built.
Our concern should be the introduction of VHS into Black Lake. We already get eels and a gobie or two getting past that dam so introduction of VHS into Black Lake will be a certainty.
VHS has reduced gamefish populations in the St. Lawrence River since it was discovered in 2007. Two breeding generations of Muskellunge are beleived to have been lost and recovery has not yet begun. This disease attacks all fish species.
Please contact NYSDEC Region 6 (Fisheries) if you share my concern. 315-785-2239

charlescrisssr

Re: Ogdensburg Dam Bypass Threat

Post by charlescrisssr » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:00 pm

I agree I hope they leave that dam intact to protect black lake and the oswegechie river. It is so peaceful up there in Heulveton.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:45 pm

There is a pretty big push to make those fish passes to bring the river back towards the days of no dams. Of course we didn't have the invasives then that we have now.
I think it would be a big mistake to put that fish pass in at Ogdensburg.
I think the DEC is agreement with that thought/opinion.
Phil

Musky hunter

Post by Musky hunter » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:31 am

Just some light reading; For a good argument to keep Black Lake isolated from the River, go to Farrelletal2017. This multi page technical report on the impact of VHS and Round Goby on the ST. Lawrence fishery paints a grim picture. A sport fishery in decline or at least at risk. Our
BL fish would be better off if there was an even tighter dam at Ogdensburg!