New Camp - Lake Water and Garbage

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

DanVin40
Newly Registered User

New Camp - Lake Water and Garbage

Post by DanVin40 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:01 am

In the process of purchasing a camp on the south end of Black lake. Somewhat familiar with the "camp" life but have a few questions:

1. Camp has water drawn from the lake. Obviously it won't be used for drinking water but do you feel comfortable doing dishes / washing hands / taking showers with lake water? I know the lake can have Algae issues (like any other lake) but will these issues render the camp with no usable water (does this algae only float to the top as the water line is farther out and on the bottom).

2. At our old camp on pleasant lake we had to bring our garbage bags back home with us (2 hour drive), does everyone do this or are there other alternatives?

Looking forward to Black lake life and hearing any helpful responses. Thank you.

njmike

Re: New Camp - Lake Water and Garbage

Post by njmike » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:22 am

Congrats on the new camp. Someone else will have to help you with the water question but as far a garbage goes there are private garbage haulers that will pick up trash. You can take it directly to the transfer station. I take it home with me, its just easier.

-Mike
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

Tori

Post by Tori » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:41 am

We have a cottage on the north end of the lake. We have a well and the water is excellent! We have had it checked two times and it is better than Rochester water during the summer. If you use your cottage a great deal then look into a well being dug. We take our garbage and recyclables back with us.
Tori

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:46 am

The lake water is pretty gross in my opinion. There is a decent amount of agricultural runoff from the farms on the North end. Not to mention that there are hundreds of old septic tanks only feet from the shoreline ... many of which get flooded every spring.

If I were going to use the water over an extended period of time like you mentioned, I'd definitely boil it, run it through a GOOD filter, or treat it with iodine or bleach.

Better yet, find a different source.