Walleye

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Gmkentucky

Walleye

Post by Gmkentucky » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:47 pm

Just hoping for some advice on Black Lake Walleye. Heading there August 1 for a few days. I know that the lake is more of a Bass/Crappie/Northern Pike lake, but any Walleye advice would be appreciated.

MrSimon

Re: Walleye

Post by MrSimon » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:11 am

In all seriousness, you would be better off fishing the SLR if you want walleye in August. It's ten minutes away and has world class fish.

Black Lake does have some walleye, and a few big ones, but it's a really tough population to fish. If you try, focus on deep water, current, and fish at dusk and after dark.

mojo

Post by mojo » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:23 pm

I know some will find this hard to believe, but I've limited out on Walleye on Black Lake numerous times during the summer months. I used to be on the water at 5am and 9pm and fished for hours and NEVER caught a walleye those times. The best times were from 10:30am 'till Noon and 2-4 in the afternoon! July and August on the most windy days, high sun and chop - troll the open waters - West and East sides between Tin and Raspberry Islands, find schools of bait fish and troll crank baits 100' behind the boat that will drop just below the bait fish depths. OR a floating Rapala using split shot to adjust depth. Best colors for this lake are chartreuse, orange, perch pattern and rainbow trout pattern. Single Blade Worm harnesses also work well but you will be pestered by small perch. Try leaches instead, harder to bite off. Once you locate or catch one, return back to the starting point and troll again, they move with the bait fish, you must stay on bait fish for best results. Good Luck!

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:42 am

That's a pretty cool technique. I'll have to try it. Thanks for posting.

Gmkentucky

Post by Gmkentucky » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:51 pm

Thank you. I really appreciate the advice. I understand that it will be difficult, but we do not have the option of going to the St. Lawrence. I'll post our results.