Black Lake Association meeting summary

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

GuidedBassTrips

Black Lake Association meeting summary

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:24 am

This past Sunday I attended the Black Lake Association meeting. I thought I'd post this so others have an idea what's is being discussed to improve this lake.

The turnout was good. There were 3 guest speakers. A county legislator, county environmental planner, and a university water quality biologist with a long history of studying the lake. A lake management plan has been created and has been made public on the web.

The biologist says the water quality is healthy for a hypereuthrophic lake (heavy in nutrients). He did mention it has low oxygen levels near the bottom which is probably why the snails die and float to the top. But this year's winds are keeping it oxygenated so far. His expertise is in water quality and not in vegetation management. He did admit the lake does have a high nutrient problem.

The county planner discussed the sources of nutrients coming into the lake such as the hammond sewage treatment plant and the farms near the Indian River.

The county legislator confirmed there would likely be no money coming from the county for future projects. Funding would need to come from the state or through independent grants.

After that the association discussed their current projects such as improving the boat ramp and removing the water chestnuts and milfoil on the north end.

My take on the meeting...it was good to see a good turnout which tells me people are concerned...and that there is a management plan in place for the lake...my concern of course is funding...because without it there is no action....the planner gave a figure of 3-5 years for any major project.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Musky hunter

Re: Black Lake Association meeting summary

Post by Musky hunter » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:27 am

Does anyone know the status of a proposed fish ladder around the lower dam on the Oswegatchie? I'm concerned that it would be a easy pass for gobies and other unwanted visitors.

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:29 am

Maybe somebody knows the true answer to that. My guess is it was to be part of the sturgeon stocking program. Which I'm concerned is having a long term effect on this lake.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Musky hunter

Post by Musky hunter » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:24 pm

Looks to us like the sturgeon are doing pretty well as is. At least we see them jumping every day.
I doubt the gobies will help them jump much higher, but they sure will raise hell with the musky fry as the do on "The Larry".

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:55 am

Yup...with lamprey eels attached to them. Thank you DEC...You can read the sturgeon stocking program on the DEC website. They've stocked more here than anywhere else in the state. And they live a long time. They may actually be swimming around the dam somehow.

492VS

Post by 492VS » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:19 pm

Very acrobatic fish. They jump totally out of the water a lot