crappie action

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Phil
Site Admin

Re: crappie action

Post by Phil » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:10 am

doug1940 wrote:Yes they are somewhat like catching perch. I was at BL Oct 8th and we caught our limits in less then 2 hours. That day they were hitting anything and everything, even bare red hooks. I have had good luck using line connectors to keep hooks out from the main line. 20 ft of water was our best depth on that weekend. Several days later they had moved out. Location is a big key in catching a schooling fish. Lots of boats in one area tells that there catching fish. Minnows, red/white tube, bright Mr. twister, had no luck with worms.
Be careful - you are giving away your "spots" 8) There are not too many spots on Black Lake that have 20 ft, or more water.
Phil

jigginmike

Post by jigginmike » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:50 pm

Hey Phil, want to know if we could pick your brain a little as to where to fish unless you want to keep your spots secret. We want to come up when the ice is on for some crappies, but don't want to drive 3 1/2 hrs to come up at the wrong time. When is the bite better, early ice or late ice, and where are some of the good places near the state boat launch. We don't have those nice tracked rigs like you do to haul our gear, all we have is man power so we wouldn't be going far (we would be staying rite next to the launch). Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:22 pm

I don't think you would want to "walk it" from the boat launch to any decent crappie fishing. I'm not a great crappie fisherman any how. But there is a spot you can park and walk out a half mile or so. You can get on at Rollaway Bay (other side of the lake from the launch). Early ice and late ice are generally the best for Crappie, as far as I hear. Too bad both times are, or can be tricky ice.
Keep watch of the posts here, I'm sure ice conditions and fishing conditions will be posted.
Phil

jigginmike

Post by jigginmike » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:10 pm

Thanks Phil. Looks like plan B is in order. We could drive around the lake if conditions permit. Guess we'd have to look for all the ice shanty's to figure out the "spot". Maybe if anyone else has any input, we'd be grateful. We only get up there for one trip every couple of years to ice fish so we wouldn't be putting much of a hurt on anyone's spot.

cheetahgas21

Post by cheetahgas21 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:13 pm

mile arm bay has been good for us over the years at first ice.but parking can be hard to find at times most 4 wheel in.