July 10-17

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

WalleyeHunter

July 10-17

Post by WalleyeHunter » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:32 pm

Well, to start off, I'm the one who started the post on side imaging in the general page. And almost every fish I caught during the day came due to that new unit!

Didn't get to fish as much as I'd have liked to due to getting Pneumonia 2 days before leaving for the lake. I did push myself every day to get up early, but I'd never make it out on the lake till about 9-10 o'clock. During the midday sun and heat, I'd fish deep shoals and weed lines, that I found on the sonar. They turned out to be quite productive. Mix of smallies and large mouths. Action was slower than I'd have in other places But every LM was over 4lbs, biggest being 6.6. Smallies were anywhere from 2 1/2 to just under 5lbs.

When the sun headed down, I'd just resort to past practice...TOP WATER!
I'd hit the shallow bays with buzz baits and Rage Shads/Toads. Kinda slow topwater bite, but the lull is worth it just to see the calm water EXPLODE with a strike. Caught mostly northerns like that, but a few somewhat decent bass in between.

Wednesday, headed up to the Oswegatchie to the dam to look for Mr. Muskie! Only caught a 2 foot northern and about a 13" LM. Not really paying attention when I was reeling in the LM, and just as it got to the boat, I caught out of the corner of my eye something HUGE! I did a double take, and thought that it was a monster muskie coming to eat my catch, but it just turned out to be the BIGGEST gar I've ever seen. I'm not real familiar with the gar, but I'm guesstimating that it was 4 to 4 1/2 feet long. Is that a big one?

Thursday about an 2 hours before sundown, I brought my 8 yr old nephew to the shaded shoreline in Back Bay, to teach him the top water technique. I just ran the trolling motor, watched and taught him. His reaction time is still a little slow, but he had some real big boils and strikes on his frog.

We stay at a private cottage, but we did make friends with a couple who'd found the eye's. But like I said I was sicker than a dog for the entire week, so I didn't get a chance to try out his spot. But there's always next year!

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:04 am

Sorry to hear that you were sick. At least you made the best of it and got out when you could. Nice report. Sounds like a pretty good size gar too, the largest one that I saw was maybe three foot but they can get way bigger than that.

Central NY Girl

Post by Central NY Girl » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:37 am

WalleyeHunter, To bad you were sick vacation and this heat is not the time to be sick. At least you got some fishing in. and before long your nephew may out fish you :wink:

WalleyeHunter

Post by WalleyeHunter » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:19 pm

My nephew out fishes me now lol. I was showing how to use a bait caster. I showed him in about 15 minutes on how to use it off the dock, with minimal backlashes. Funny, I've taught adults, and they don't catch on as quick as him. I've never seen someone that has more natural talent than that kid.

He wants to go to a college that has bass fishing, and now I'm starting to get excited, cause there are a few schools that actually give out scholarships for it now!

Central NY Girl

Post by Central NY Girl » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:18 pm

Wish they had scholarships like that when my boys where in school. maybe they would have been a little more interested.
The bait caster is hard to master I tried twice backlashed both times and gave up :evil: