tips for north end?

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

harry pikeman

Post by harry pikeman » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:38 pm

I'm sorry for this post but I cant believe someone would be so discraceful to a fellow fisherman, He or she did not even state that they kept the fish. It seems as though black lake has declined , I don't know I have only fished there for a few years, but you cannot belittle people for keeping fish that are allowed by law. You old timers that have fished here for 25 years have to understand that there is a web site and a known name that is attracking new fisherman to "Your Lake"! Thats where we all are coming from.It really is a shame that people like you have to make everyone un easy about fishing. I want to thank everyone on this site for advice and insight, I have been checking this forum almost everyday for two years and it has been a pleasure, I think it is time to move on. Thanks again guys , hope this place comes back to the fishery you say it once was.( for the record we (4 fisherman) never kept one bass from Black)
Tight Lines! Harry Pikeman

Bassbuster

Post by Bassbuster » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:47 pm

Nothing like a good old fashioned debate hey boys! Look its my opinion based on experience and local knowledge that the bass fishing is in decline. Why I don't know. Probably a combination of factors at work such as water quality, Invasive species and increased pressure. Now as far as the guy who "might" have chosen to keep the 5 lb babass it was his choice to keep it and that's fine he's certainly entitled to do so. as far as disrespect goes I actually admire the guy for not giving up seeking advice learning a new technique and it finally payed off. That's great and that's the challenge that draws me to bass fishing. Where we differ is I would have taken s picture and it sounds like bass hog "may" have kept it. We have differing view points and philosophies regarding it. That's ok because see because I would guess that about half the people on this forum practice CnR and the other half keep some or all legal fish, hopefully only the 5 per day which ial the daily limit. You will never convince us to change and we may never get you to release the hog to fight another day. We hopefully can still be friends and agree to disagree. I still will cntinue to stand up for what I believe in and promote CnR.

PA FishHog

Post by PA FishHog » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:17 pm

I'm sorry that my topic had started this argument, I posted my catches on the forum for my fellow fishermen to see. I thought that the purpose of this forum was to connect with one another, share information, and learn more about this amazing fishery, but lately the forum seems to be used to bash fishermen who keep their catch and to bash the lake! I did keep those fish, I was at the lake with family and friends and we wanted to have a fish fry. So we had a nice fish fry with some bass, bluegill, crappie, and a pike. We had a good variety and all of it tasted great. Now with that said, I had the right to keep those fish as soon as I bought my license, so that's what I did. I'm sick of people blaming the lake's downfall on "meathunters". The lake is almost 11,000 acres and how much of that is not able to be fished? Tons! The lake is not fished out, it produces monster fish each summer. Just this week, I heard about someone getting a 7lber sometime this summer. There are so many quality fish left in this lake it's ridiculous! I already see where this whole meathunter thing is heading too, it's going to turn the blame on the PA fishermen. Anyone who wants to blame PA fishermen for "fishing the lake out" needs to go sit at the Edwardsville Bridge for a day and watch what the locals do with every fish they catch, whether it's big enough or not it heads straight into the bucket. I'm not saying they are the only ones keeping illegal fish, I'm sure there are some PA Fishermen who keep illegal fish. It saddens me to say that I know people are keeping fish they shouldn't, but it's happening. I'm just saying look in your own backyard, before pointing fingers. Now let's take this forum back to what it should be, a place for fellow fishermen to connect and help each other out for their outings at this wonderful lake, and before anyone posts I want them to think WWJD

What Would JERRY Do?

fishUC

Post by fishUC » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:47 pm

this is comical - its a fishing licence, which includes daily creel limits, which are established to protect species while letting you enjoy the bounties of the earth. Go ahead and keep your limit or release every fish, do it legally, have fun, teach your kids how to fish, how to catch, how to keep, how to release, how to clean - whatever you want - do it legally, don't abuse it, practice good catch and release habits - ie, cut deep hooks, take quick pictures, ensure to revive fish that are stressed, tournament live wellers, keep your watere fresh and airated.

no need for chastizing people for follwoing the law, regardless of your beliefs.

espeically when the economy of the total area is probably 90% driven by east shore anglers (those renting cottages)

go ahead and close those down, tear down the cleaning statios and see what happens - i would guess the fishing will be worse.

we personally release every bass we catch except maybe 2-3 a year. Panfish are plentiful and better to eat, as I don'y complain about people keeping them unless:

A - they get their limit 2-3 times a day
B: they keep any size
C: they keep them and wait to long to clean them (in a well until they die)

cheftommy70

Post by cheftommy70 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:50 am

i agree with everything u said!!! i practice cnr but those who do harvest keepers its well within their rights just dont abuse it. pts a,b,c are great

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:46 am

I hate that it has come to this. "Good Old Fashion Debate", get real. Insulting other fisherman just because they don't agree with you is plain old snobery. Trout fisherman who flyfish only tend to look down on live bait or spinning gear. Everyone can use what they want, how they want, and keep what they want. Within the law that is! Myself in the week that I was there I kept only two fish, but that was my choice. America is what it is for a reason. Do what you want to do and if somebody else doesn't like it you can tell them to shut the #$%& up!

StrikeKing

Post by StrikeKing » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:00 pm

I don't think anyone is saying he's a bad person for keeping fish. It's his right, and we all agree on that. I personally don't do it. And I personally prefer to share knowledge with other people who don't do it either. I buy licenses too, and it's my right to share tips or info with whomever I want.
It would be virtually impossible to fish the lake out due the massive size. I understand a lot of people are worried who've been fishing here some 30 years, but a lot has changed since then...bigger motors, more boats, more fisherman, jet skis, water skis, tubers, pleasure cruises, the fact is the lake gets a lot of traffic and pressure that it didn't have all those years ago. I came up to BL yesterday to see how bad it had gotten. We left here at 7 am, had our first line in the water at 11, caught a 5lb-er at noon, and 6 more in the 2-4 range before we quit at 3 to make the 3+ hour drive back to the Binghamton area where we live. Considering we were there in the middle of the day on a weekend I'd say we did really well.

NOW, to get back on topic, I personally found the north end to be just ok...I still prefer to be in the south end of the lake. But I would say (just to be a good sport and try to end this debate) to stay out of the really shallow water and focus on the ledges and you'll be fine.
SK

Pochucker

Post by Pochucker » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:45 pm

I disagree with the statement "its to big to fish out" . If you mean that in the meathunters mentality you are right --BL is obviously a prolific fish nursery --there will always be fish there to catch and eat. However in the eyes of CR fishermen we are looking for size not qty which obviously requires a chance to grow.

As someone said 5lb LG =10yrs old think about it.

StrikeKing

Post by StrikeKing » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:45 pm

Lol...I posted that comment about the fish weight and the age of it. My point is that the BIG fish ARE still there, but as a species they evolve, and as fisher
man you have to as well. I ONLY practice CnR, and I still swear by my belief that if you go out at night, during the middle of the week, and fish from 8pm-7am, you'll catch more fish, and more LARGE fish, than you know what to do with. Every time I've come for a 3 day weekend this year my partner and I have caught over 150 fish (that's each time, not total), out of that between 100 and 120 are bass...nothing smaller than 2 pounds, and NUMEROUS over 5. We target bass 90% of the time. When we get tired of catching 4-6 lb fish we switch to northerns, gar, musky, walleye, etc.

TRY my advice about the night fishing...and use anything big and loud on the shorelines. I've been coming for 7 years...I've NEVER had a day there where we didn't catch at LEAST 40 fish.
SK

Believer

Keeping bass and other fish

Post by Believer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:53 pm

Bassbuster wrote:Hey PA FISH HOG I'm glad you finally were able to get on some fish. I guess I always thought Bass fishing was about the challenge of the catching not the keeping that its all sabout? Too bad another 5 lb er had to be taken out of the lake and filleted. Wouldn't a picture have been enough? I assume when you said the 3 and 5 lb bass were keeper size that it meant you kept them? Hopefully I read way too far into that and. maybe what u meant to say was that although they were keeper size you released them to fight another day. If you did indeed keep them you Certainly have every right to because I know that it must cost you a ton of money to fish here! I just don't understand this mespecially since the fillets from fish that big are mushy and don't taste all that great anyway. Sorry had to vent let the hate mail begin!

Good fishing everyone and enjoy the lake.
Bassbuster, I have the solution to the people keeping keepers problem. Petition the Department of Environmental Conservation to raise the minimum size on bass, LM and SM, to 18 inches. Indeed, go to 20". And I'm not kidding. Would you like to see Black Lake become trophy water? That's how to do it. I'd like to see the minimum size on northerns increased to at least 25". Oh well...

StrikeKing

Post by StrikeKing » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:09 pm

I totally agree!!! In fact-make the limit on Northern 35. Let the meat eaters feast on crappy and perch. :) haha

BTW...I'm teasing with that comment. I really don't care if people eat fish or not. That's your choice. My choice is to let them go and catch them again...bigger :)
SK