Guided Bass Trips 8/30-9/1

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

GuidedBassTrips

Guided Bass Trips 8/30-9/1

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:46 am

Mike and Debbie Lempa from Texas had booked me for three days again this year. They are very good customers of mine and I have also taken them in Florida.

I offer trips on the St. Lawrence and Lake Ontario Bays also and last year I was able to take them to all three places. Our only bad weather day last year was on the St. Lawrence. So this year I decided to start there. I launched at Chippewa Bay and this time had a chance to introduce them to my favorite bass fishing next to Black Lake. I showed them how to fish goby imitation plastics on a drop shot in deep water. We worked from Chippewa east to Morristown catching several smallmouths but was unable to get them any larger than 3 pounds. I think it was a little difficult for them to control their bait in both deep water and current but they enjoyed learning a new technique. Later in the afternoon I came back into Chippewa and they were able to catch five largemouth on senkos inside the bay. I believed they still totaled around 15 bass.

The second day we fished Black Lake which this year has been a model of consistency. It's almost like my customers are catching the same fish. Some probably are the same fish. This time of year the crayfish bite for the smallmouths is the most consistent. We threw senkos some but that bite has definetely slowed. We did not fish topwaters or shallow for largemouths at all. They still totaled another 15 bass with largest once again about 3 pounds.

On day three I attempted to take them to my favorite place for big smallmouth which is Chaumont Bay. It was wavy already in the morning and I had them fishing with spinnerbaits and tubes. They caught 7 bass but nothing bigger than they had already caught the first two days, and it was getting rougher, so I trailered the boat at 1pm and took them back to Black Lake. They caught more smallmouths on the crayfish and again totaled roughly 15 bass for the day. The only disappointment this year was not being able to put them on bigger smallmouth. They catch plenty of big largemouth in Texas. I feel the smallmouth are what is most special about north country bass fishing and they agree.

Good luck to all fishing the lake and the nearby St. Lawrence. Please practice catch and release.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.