July 17-23 Trip

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Tdewalt

July 17-23 Trip

Post by Tdewalt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:26 pm

The water was warm but the fish were biting. If you like topwater the weedbeds early(5:00-7:00am) and late(7:30-9:30pm) was fantastic. Scum frogs were the ticket in and jitterbugs and dying flutters just outside. Mid morning I found 6-8 ft of water with senko's did real well. This was my 8yo sons first year going out early and he boated quite a few bass on scum frogs. 21 for the week ranging from 12-18in. He also caught an 18in. smallthmouth on a 1/32 crappie jig with 4lb test. I think it was the fight of his life. My 12yo daughter caught a few bass and 27in 8.5lb bowfinon her only morning out. I managed to boat 126 bass from 10-21inches, 15 pike from 14-26inches and a 32inch 13.5lb bowfin on a 1/32crappie jig and 4lb test after about 25 minutes. The kids hit some nice size crappies 3 different times around the bridge, both sides. Some say the lake is not what it used to be. After 6 straight years the lake has not let me down yet. I found that senkos worked all day long. :D

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:26 am

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you had a great trip.

JoePa

Post by JoePa » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:23 am

We were there the same week and although we did better than last year in late August I was still not impressed with the fishing. The bass we did catch were mostly 14-14 3/4", very healthy and strong fighters but just short. I know people that go earlier really wreck the fish but it seems tough later on in the season. High water temps, algae bloom?

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:15 am

Sounds like you had a wonderful week of fishing on Black Lake during what can be a difficult time of the year. There are some fisherman complaining but many like yourself have done well. The algae bloom does effect the fishing because it first limits range of visibility and secondly the water is not moving. And thirdly the post-spawn feeding binge ended prior to your time here. I'm guessing you and your family are good anglers. And you are right it is still a really good lake.

Thanks for the report and I hope you keep coming to Black Lake.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.