Mid Sept?

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

GrandpaMike

Mid Sept?

Post by GrandpaMike » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:26 pm

I've read several reports that talk about how thick the weeds are. I'll be fishing the lake mid Sept and wonder if the weeds thin out or at least begin to thin out by that time.
Also, could someone tell me what the mid Sept pattern for panfish such as perch and crappie might be.
Thank you

smoketofire

Post by smoketofire » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:09 am

This is my first year fishing Black Lake so I dont know what the weeds usually are, but two days ago I took the boat out for a run up into the river after bass. A lot of the lake, from the bridges to the river, specially the closer you get to the river, is covered with weeds. Not really a problem being as I don't fish out in the middle, but I do know there is a lot of em. Amazes me. Im used to fishing back in Cali and its nothing like this. The main lake seems to be pretty nice still. Except for a few coves, we didnt seem to have as much problem fishing around the islands in the main part as we did fishing the points up towards the river.

GrandpaMike

Post by GrandpaMike » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:43 pm

Thanks for the reply, info seems a bit difficult to come by here, though I will say that I have now searched through the posts. It'll be my first time as well, taking my grandson before he ships out. I've posted two questions and had 700 views but just two replies, lots of lurker I suppose. There was you here and one fellow on my other post. I wasn't looking for spot burning just general info about locations, patterns etc. But we'll figure it out.
Thanks again for the reply.

mitchr

Fishing in Sept

Post by mitchr » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:37 am

I have fished Black Lake in mid to late Sept for the past 3 years. The weeds are really heavy but the tactic I normally use is to fish the outside edges of the bays and weedy areas/points etc. as well as right over the tops of submerged weeds.

You can find tons of areas like this to fish and my group is usually successful at getting a nice mixed bag of Pike and Bass using spinner baits and floating rapala type lures each fall.

Plenty of guys fish the really heavy weeds with plastic worms, frogs, etc but I have never enjoyed that type of fishing and couldn't begin to give you any advice in that area. I really like catching Pike and they are often out a bit deeper so the few bass we catch there as well as a nice bonus.

We also release everything except a Pike or two for a nice meal one evening. It's taken me years to find a lake that has decent fishing and I'm hoping everyone helps to take care of the fishery here so it can continue to improve.

StrikeKing

Post by StrikeKing » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:36 am

I completely agree with what Mitchr said in terms of targetting bass and northerns that time of year. I don't spend any time panfishing so I can't help you there. I also tend to fish a lot early in the am or very late at night, so top water lures that make noise are my favorites. If you're going to try to fish in the weeds you need a really heavy line (braid) that won't stretch, and a heavy weight. You can also try a drop shot or a crankbait on rocky points. The colder the water, the shallower the fish, you'll also want to use bigger lures that time of year, as fish change from eating all day to eating bigger meals. Be prepared to lose a lot of lures to the pike unless you're going to run a leader, and if you do run one you'll catch less fish. That's the trade off. Good luck!
SK

GrandpaMike

Post by GrandpaMike » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:54 am

Thank you very much for the replies, I appreciate you taking the time. I always practice catch and release with all gamefish keeping an occasional walleye or if want a meal I target panfish.

Would you suggest north or south of the bridge? Having never been there but looking at the Hot Spots map seems the northern end may have even more weeds, also seems like more diverse areas and structure to the south.

Thanks again for taking the time providing these suggestions.

GM

cheftommy70

Post by cheftommy70 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:08 pm

we fish the south end almost exclusively.there are weeds in the bays like the north end but also rocky shoals and deeper water for more diverse tactics...if you study the hot spots map and read through the older posts on here you will do well

sasnyder

Post by sasnyder » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:15 pm

we have found most of the good fishing spots are on the south side of the bridge around rasberry island and in the lonesome bay area. But when the wind is really blowing as it can in the very widest part of the lake, we fish the north side of the bridge with luck around Jennies Island and in upper big bay. But its up to you it can be a challenge on either side. Good Luck. We hope to get up around the 17th of sept.

StrikeKing

Post by StrikeKing » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:12 pm

Depends on what you're looking for. Again, I don't fish for panfish, so I can only speak for the bass, northerns, and walleyes (which I have had a very time finding this year).
Really it all depends on the day. I've had days where I caught 100 bass in Upper big bay, and I've had days where I caught 0. I don't like to struggle in the wind, so I will usually let the weather dictate where I fish and find calm water, and once I'm there I'll start in shallow and work my way out. My favorite thing about BL is that it has so many coves that you can almost always find calm water somewhere. I've caught fish everywhere on the lake, so I don't think either end is necessarily better than the other, but I know that when it's really hot, and the water temp is hot, it's easier to find them in deeper water, and the water is deeper in the south end. I'll be there for sure on the 17th but I have a feeling I'll be there sooner (it's hard to stay away, even if it is a 3+ hour drive).
SK

GrandpaMike

Post by GrandpaMike » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:53 pm

Once again, thanks guys. This info will be helpful. I'll be sure to post a report.