Monday August 23rd.

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

ragincajun

Monday August 23rd.

Post by ragincajun » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:21 pm

Went fishing from 3 to 7:30. We started fishing with rubber frogs with no luck at first. Wind was strong so I let it blow us into the bay. Pulled out a spinner bait for the first time in a while and caught a 15.5 inch LM first cast. Forgot to yell Boo-YA...like they do in the commercial...ooops. Gave the pole and lure to my son and said here...this works..try it. Two or three casts later...bam...another 15.5 inch LM. Huh...spinner bait over weeds in 4ft of water...who'd a thunk it. I put on a mepps spinner and tried some more, catching 3 smaller ones. We then moved on to another spot where I had a nice one hit and miss my frog. We fished there a while before moving on to another bay that worked last week. I started using a senko with a bright green tail. I was getting lots of little bits from either bluegill or perch who like the tail. So I handed the pole to my son so he could at least have the fun of feeling the tug and maybe be able to catch one. I took his pole that had a yum frog on it. I was watching and talking to him while tugging and reeling on the frog. BAM..8 or 10 feet from the boat, a fish nailed the frog, big splash, swirl, and zeeeeeeeel as my reel was smoking. The fish just kept going and going with it. I pulled but could do nothing but let the drag go and go. I handed the pole to my son and said here...take this....few seconds later...fish...gone. WOW....what could I have had....I will never know. Couple more fish and another big LM lost a little while later which was all my fault I guess. I set the hook and fought him strong but I think I let him have some slack when I when to switch sides of my body I was pulling on. Oh well. All in all I caught 5 and he caught one. I only wish there was more time in the day and I had a better working stronger trolling motor. Life is good.

GrandpaMike

Post by GrandpaMike » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 pm

Great time with your son! Bet he enjoyed it every bit as much as you...............Wonderful memories for both of you.

StrikeKing

Post by StrikeKing » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:20 pm

That's a great day! Just another reason why they call it "fishing" and not "catching", lol.
SK

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:32 am

Nice man. Spinnerbaiting over the tops of weeds is my absolute favorite, cover water and smoke bass, too bad it doesn't produce so well when the temps hit triple didgets. Would have loved to see a pic of the one that got away, whatever it was.