Ice Fishing- Getting Around the Lake??

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Pike-Buster

Ice Fishing- Getting Around the Lake??

Post by Pike-Buster » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:13 pm

Im coming up to Black lake next week Ice Fishing, im new to ice fishing this lake and would like some directions on getting around the Lake. Ive heard Rollaway bay, Mile arm bay, and Big Bay( or Black Bay??) are some prime locations for Northerns. Is there any way to access these locations from Black Lake Rd. Like public acces or something??

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:28 pm

Rollaway has public access. If you have transportation and you feel the ice is good, you can get on at the state boat launch and drive to wherever you like.
Phil

Pike-Buster

Ice-Fishing

Post by Pike-Buster » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:44 pm

okay, thnkss for the info, good to know i can get out on a few of the Bays, good luck ice-fishing in the new year!!

DougC

Post by DougC » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:17 pm

Pike buster,
Iwas up checking out the camp this weekend. Stay away from the causway. It was very open and the cold weather may only cause a skim over. I heard rollaway bay is the way to go.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:24 pm

DougC wrote:Pike buster,
Iwas up checking out the camp this weekend. Stay away from the causway. It was very open and the cold weather may only cause a skim over. I heard rollaway bay is the way to go.
OH YA! The causeway is NEVER safe - always open. I guess that is mostly assumed. BAD word, assume, it'll get you in trouble.
I would never say the ice is "good to go". I will report my findings and experiences, but will never tell anyone to just go on out. You need to check for yourself and take your own chances. That's what I do. Never trust anyone's observations, they can be misread.
Phil