Proper Catch&Release

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

GuidedBassTrips

Proper Catch&Release

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:18 am

Most agree on the importance of catch release these days. As my winter guiding season is winding down in Florida I'm reflecting on what I learned most and how I can apply it to my trips on Black Lake this summer.

Circle hooks, circle hooks, circle hooks!! I literally have used shiners 100% of the time this winter, and my customers were impressed with the hooks I use. We had days where 100% of the bass were corner hooked. Just like unhooking a spinnerbait.

Last summer on Black Lake, several bass caught by customers, were bass that were caught before by an angler and the bass had either the whole senko or the hook from a senko lodged in the throat area. Maybe it broke their line or the angler left the hook in....which is the right thing to do. But some anglers are still using too large of a hook with this technique. Remember a bass doesn't bite...it inhales. The bait literally slams into the throat area instantly. The worm is bending in half going in and the hook is grabbing the throat. A circle hook is designed to not grab in the throat area, but rather grab in the outer area of the mouth. They work, trust me! They are sharp and designed well.

I'm currently using Mustad's light wire demon circle. 3/0 is a good all around size with the senko. Smaller than that is better with crayfish and hatchery shiners. I use 5/0 with the big wild shiners in Florida. Initially....I didn't have complete confidence in them myself. I was taking my pliers and tweaking them so that the hook point and shank were offset. And I was still grabbing the thoat area. Now I leave them straight because that's how they were designed to work. You can tweak them if it makes you feel better and you will still corner hook most fish. But please switch to these hooks.

There are saltwater areas in Florida where circle hooks are mandatory. It would be a good idea up north too.

Good luck to everyone fishing the lake this season. I hear it is finally getting warm.

See you on the lake.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

VPPAPS

Re: Proper Catch&Release

Post by VPPAPS » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:18 am

Great reccomendation! I use circle hooks now for much of my fishing.....live bait or soft plastics for bass, walleye or crappie. Light wire is the way to go for live minnows, crayfish, leeches and crawlers. Go with a little heavier hook for plastics. Another good tip is to not set the hook like you are used to......just lift the rod and start reeling when you get a bite. This positions the hook in the corner of the fish's mouth. Eagle Claw makes a circle octopus hook in black finish I like very much for live bait rigging bass or walleye. I have some larger ones(5/0 saltwater) tied to wire line for pike fishing with live suckers.

fishinmagician

Post by fishinmagician » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Just to take C&R one step further, if you are fishing with new to fishing folks, they won't react to the bite as fast as a seasoned fisherman will, to keep the hook in the mouth rather than the throat. Simply bend the barb down or grind it off as I do with a battery powered hook sharpener. I have not had a bleeder in many many fishing trips. Those tips on using circle hooks is solid advice. I fish barbless circle hooks all the time and loose very few fish. Should you get a swallower, I find it is faster and easier to go in through the gill opening with long needle nose pliers and simply back the hook out, it causes no blood loss, and doesn't keep the fish out of the water for extended periods trying to unhook through the mouth.
The second amendment is in place, in case THEY decide to ignore all the others.

sasnyder

Post by sasnyder » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:30 pm

I purchase barbless hooks at cabelas all this time to use for the grandkids for fishing for two reasons, one; for release of the fish, two; most important for release of human. :( never fails one or another gets hooked and its easier ( although sounds really bad ) to back out of your thumb or ear than going to the emergency room. :P otherwise the circle hooks are the best.