Fishing report May 7th thru 11th

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Bob-O

Fishing report May 7th thru 11th

Post by Bob-O » Thu May 12, 2011 1:25 pm

Target fish: Pike. Water temperature was 50 to 60f. The water was very high, the lake was completely changed. Drifted Lonesome bay and Big bay nothing, never have we not caught any pike in these bays. Found the northern pike right on the shore line, you could actually see them dart out and take your lure. Saturday and Sunday were the best days, we manage three to four pike each biggest was 25”. Monday and Tuesday the wind picked up and the lake had two to three foot rollers. Switched to minnows and had no luck with those. Finally switched to night crawlers and found some nice bullheads. As always had a great time fishing and talking with all the gang in the camp, they make any trip fun…good luck
Catch and Release the big ones!!
Practice Conservation

bluschen

Re: Fishing report May 7th thru 11th

Post by bluschen » Thu May 12, 2011 9:38 pm

Thanks for the update!!! we are heading up Sunday for a week at the south end. the weather forecast is dreary at best with rain/showers forecast for every day...good wet weather gear is in order.

fishinjon22
Newly Registered User

Post by fishinjon22 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:28 pm

have been fishing black lake for sum years now and we always seem to find crappies in diffrent spots, took us 4 days last year but we got on them...hot and heavy, boated over 60 keepers in one morning befor lunch, biggest being around 12..12 1/2., throw a pike bobber while ur crappie fishing at it almost always dissapears while your not looking. cant tells you where our spots our since this has beena tradition in our family since the late 70's and we dont like being crowded, but what you can do is ask around for " team Eighmey". we stay at mclears from may15-22 EVERY year, we rent the blue cabin by the docks and the green cabin next to the fishing hut. and maybe we can help you out with sum knowledge for the week

TeamEighmey

Post by TeamEighmey » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:47 pm

^^^^^^ Hey I didnt know u posted on here too Jon lmfao

mbanko17

Post by mbanko17 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:10 pm

10 degree temp change? still high water, I am so glad I booked later. Why is it still high? Black is a glacier lake, no damn. Was there alot of snow melt off?

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Sat May 12, 2012 5:48 am

It's raining. :big-grin: and yes there is a dam that affects Black Lake, and a river (the Oswegatchie) where that dam is. And the water is not all that high, for this time of year. You may have made a good choice of dates, but that remains to be seen/experienced. I hope you have exceptional luck while you are at the lake, but weather is very unpredictable and a great influence on Black Lake.
Phil

bluschen

Post by bluschen » Sat May 12, 2012 7:09 am

I look at it this way...I'll be there for a week starting tomorrow, there's fish in the lake and I won't be at work. I've fished low water and the high water and I never fail to have a memorable time with friends and family.

The best to all my co-posters and I hope to see some of you up there

Brian

bluefin_16

Post by bluefin_16 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:22 pm

Home from Black Lake 2012 trip. This was one for the record books. I have never caught so many jumbo perch in my life. Every day, they didn't stop biting. I didn't matter if it was a worm or minnow. Pike were small this year, 22-26 inch, usually they run in mid 30's. Did not keep any pike, but the crappies were doing us justice when we targeted them. Reservations are made for McLears' for 2013. Lookout fish, I shall return !!!

Winmag300um
Newly Registered User

Post by Winmag300um » Sun May 13, 2012 1:08 am

I will be there May 19th and hope to get in on some of those Jumbo Perch, Crappies and Bluegill to put in the freezer. Also hoping to put my first Black lake keeper Walleye in the boat, we have never had any sucess for them in past years. Any advice would be a bleesing.

bluefin_16

Post by bluefin_16 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:05 pm

We caught one walleye, large head with very.very skinny body 15" long.

redvers lewiston

Post by redvers lewiston » Wed May 16, 2012 11:09 am

We were up for opening weekend and did pretty well. 180 pike between 12 of us all on artificials, we also caught 6 walleye which cooked up nice! The walleye ranged from 20" to 24". North of the bridge was dead. Orchard Bay and weedy flats around lonesome bay and the surrounding islands was the best spot. Most of the pike were small but a 31" and a 29" were boated. It always goes so fast when we're up there, can't wait till next year.
" I know the human being and fish can co-exist peacefully. " George W Bush