Memorial Day Weekend

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

492VS

Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Post by 492VS » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:10 am

My only regret on this thread is somehow post the pictures underneath each other. Nothing better than scrolling all the way across the screen to see and read the posts. Bass bite the pike lures period, not much you can do unless you ban all fishing till the 3rd Saturday in June. Even the counties were you can target the bass early season it is catch and immediate release. It does not say catch, fumble for a camera, take a few pics and then release.

Bassbuster

Post by Bassbuster » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:06 pm

Central ny girl, apology accepted! Please don't stop sharing your opinions. I think some of these discussions,as difficult as they may be, can be healthy. Hopefully some good comes out of it and the lake and all those who fish it will see some benefits in the long run. I hope you and your family catch many fish when you come up this summer!

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:19 pm

The most common question I get from my customers is "when is the best time to come?" And my answer is always "it depends on the weather". Your timing was good with warming water that is also falling. A killer combination in the spring. And don't feel bad about catching all those bass. Number one it shows how good the fishery is and second it proves why a closed bass season on Black Lake is so necessary. Imagine how packed the lake would be around Memorial weekend each year if the season was open. And how it could effect the fishing of the future.

Thanks for the report. Looks like you guys had fun.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Bassbuster

Post by Bassbuster » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:40 am

Captain when do usually return from FL and start your guided bass trips on BL?

Tbone

Post by Tbone » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:57 am

One of the best reports I've seen in awhile. Thanks for all the details , it helps my group make plans for our trip. I do feel someone who post as much as you do knows the rules of the lake . I'm sure everyone who responded to this post know the rules . The fact that I don't see as many detailed reports might be people are afraid of getting put down. It would be a shame , we miss you Jerry

biggerbass

Post by biggerbass » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:45 am

This is my first post, but I have been an avid reader of this forum for several years. I must add my two cents to the controversy of preseason bass fishing. Let me start by saying that I trust the DEC in their attempts to do what they feel is best for our fishery, but we all know they are not always correct. Having said that, i really don't understand the problem of showing pictures of any fish caught, no matter when or how, provided they are treated carefully & released unharmed. I have tournament fished all over this country & Canada for over 30 years & have listened to & studied this issue extensively. There are numerous differences in opinion within the fishery biologist community, so who am I or any other "non expert" to argue with their decisions? I would rather they take a picture, then release it than have them brought back to the cleaning station. I have been accused of so many things over ther years because of my passion, ie: using electonics isn't fair, why do I need such a big motor, tournaments kill too many fish, etc. etc. that i now shrug off most complaints.

Lets leave the decisions to the experts and stop bickering among ourselves. Be thankful we have the opportunity to enjoy sport fishing. Respect each other & the environment & have FUN!

FishingForFun2010

Post by FishingForFun2010 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:09 pm

Well said biggerbass....The opportunity to be on the water, fishing, relaxing with family and friends, and teaching a youngster is what the sport is all about. I've been begging for the opportunity to get the boat out. Haven't been out since before memorial day. I have to work the weekend but Monday and Tuesday is fishing time for this guy...will report after

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:11 am

You are correct biggerbass about leaving it up to the DEC. You, like myself, have fished all over and you will notice the further north you go, the tougher the regulations get. Take a look at Canada's regulations. Or Wisconsin which is exceptionally strict. Black Lake is being treated like a Canadian lake for a reason. And we should be thankful for it.

Catching bass pre-season has been going on for many years on Black Lake. You can't keep guys off the lake in the spring after a long winter. The DEC knows that and I believe thay tend to look for blatant violations. And if you can keep guys looking over their shoulder for the game warden, they will hopefully treat the fishery with respect. And those new to the area that don't know this need to be made aware of it when necessary.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Bassbuster

Post by Bassbuster » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:49 pm

I agree we can't keep guys off the water after a long winter and hopefully no one wants or is saying that on thia board. I think we all agree that u that we can't target bass even for c n r pre-season on BL unlike some other lakes in ny and pa. The law exists for a reason and that is to protect the spawn period. Some agree and some don't but I believe there are some pretty smart fisheries biologist with dec that feel its the right thing to do on BL. I know the fish isn't being taken to cleaning station and that's good but it can't be good to keep pulling them off re bed and letting the panfish go to town! All im saying is wouldnt it better when u do catch bass while targeting pike , which is no doubt going to happen and I agree no one should feel bad or guilty about that, is to get them back in the water as quickly as possible? Like someone else said the law that exists on on other lakes is catch and "immediate" release not catch stop fumble for the camera take a few pic then release. Im sure mr simons crew had the camera ready and didn't take any extra time but if you have ever seen me operate a camera or cell phone camera you would know that could never be the case!

Niagara-eyes

Post by Niagara-eyes » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:33 pm

I tend to agree with Bassbuster on the photos of the out of season fish. Why put any additional stress on the fish by holding them up in the boat for a photo? Remove the hooks as quickly as possible.....preferably at boatside.....then let the fish go at water level. Don't drop or throw the fish back over the side. The less handling the better. They are out of season for a reason and if we are going to agree to trust the laws in place by the DEC we should follow the spirit of the law as well......to protect the bass and other species during the spring spawning season.

Culprit

Post by Culprit » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:39 pm

Oh, come on, MrSimon - that walleye was at least 24 inches! 8)

I've been fishing Black Lake with MrSimon for well over 5 years now. There is one particular island with a channel between it and the mainland. Every year I've just KNOWN that there were some big pike in there, but I only ever caught the usual 22-26 inchers (which is nothing to sneeze at). This year, at the end of the last day of our trip, I talked MrSimon into letting me troll through there on our way back to the cabins before dark. I threw in a huge William's Wobbler, put the 75 HP outboard as close to idle as possible, and hung on. That fish hit hard! I was hoping for a big pike, but was just as happy with that walleye. It's certainly the biggest one that I've ever caught. That was the perfect way to end this year's trip.

Thanks for the post and writeup, MrSimon.

jhonners

Post by jhonners » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:21 pm

T-bone when are you and big Zim gonna put down a beer long enough to get a line wet?

Tbone wrote:One of the best reports I've seen in awhile. Thanks for all the details , it helps my group make plans for our trip. I do feel someone who post as much as you do knows the rules of the lake . I'm sure everyone who responded to this post know the rules . The fact that I don't see as many detailed reports might be people are afraid of getting put down. It would be a shame , we miss you Jerry
gonna finish the other two sides of my cement block cabin in Edwardsville this winter.

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:38 pm

You guys kill me ..............

This is a FISHING REPORT. Its pathetic how you feel some mis-placed obligation to use my thread to peddle your wares.

If you aren't a DEC officer, then keep your opinions in your own threads. Is that really so difficult to do?

If you can't start acting like a grown-up and stop all your childish complaining and whining, then I'm gonna start posting more pics of me on the can.