Decline of Big Bass.

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

snakedoc

Decline of Big Bass.

Post by snakedoc » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:21 am

This is my first post, I just found this forum.
I read most of the post regarding the decline of big bass in the lake. I'm from PA and have been fishing BL for over 20 years, spring, summer and fall. I agree with the majority of reasons for the decline. Instead of all of us agreeing with one another. We need to contact DEC and try to get something done, i.e. catch and release, a slot limit, contact with cabin rental owners to educate renters and any other methods that will save this great fishery. It will undoubtly continue to decline unless something is done. Action speaks louder than words.

fishUC

Re: Decline of Big Bass.

Post by fishUC » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:50 pm

they are still there...caught my biggest bass 2-3 years ago - 5+ pounds...they are depper now. Try dragging tubes, drop shots and shaky heads in 14 ft

snakedoc

Post by snakedoc » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:30 am

fishuc, I agree there are still big bass there, but I don't think in near the numbers there used to be. I can remember catching 8-10 3 lbs fish a day. Don't get me wrong I think it's still the best bass lake in the North East. It is however on the decline. I believe there are a lot of reasons and would like to see a reverse in the decline. I hate seeing someone kill those 2 lb. + fish.
Thanks for responding....

tmutt

Post by tmutt » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:57 am

Yep, they are still there! :D Even our 9 year old grand daughter is in on the action. Last year she caught two 18" small mouths in our bay. :D
Tight lines,

Tmutt

fishUC

Post by fishUC » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:28 pm

i wouldn't say its the best bass lake int the NE, not even in NY. Erie for smallies, Onieda and Champlain are tough to beat...especailly when the smallies are hitting on top water...last year there was one morning on onieda two of us literally caught a 3 lb smallie probably 2 out of every 3 casts for 2 hours...and the casts we weren't successful we had 2-3 strikes that just didn't hook up. that NEVER happens at black lake. we have had days you spoke of but never the number like onieda, WE have had days on onieda too that have easily rivaled BL for largemouth too

onieda and champlain have their drawbacks too however - bad weather is touch as there are few placed to hide...so BL is nicer in that regards..

snakedoc

Post by snakedoc » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:47 pm

As many times as I've pasted Onieda, I've never fished it. When I did Champlain, the weather was bad, and so was the Lake. I was thinking of LM when I made the comment. I do Erie every spring for the past 5 yrs, and your right about the smallies, haven't hit 6 yet, came close. We're (family) going up to BL the week of July 9, looking forward to it.

Believer

Post by Believer » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:40 pm

Snakedoc, I am not a bass'n man, but don't you think the answer to most "no more big ones" problems is simply to increase the size limit and decrease the keep limit on the lake? What would happen to the bass in Black Lake if the minimum size limit was 18"? What if the maximum keep limit was 3 fish per day?
When does the bass season end in NY. Are largemouths being taken through the ice?

snakedoc

Post by snakedoc » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:45 am

I think that would be a move in the right direction.
I don't even know the keep limit, as I've only ever kept two bass on BL (they were hurt pretty bad). They are off limits during the spawn, which is a big help. As far as the number taken through the ice, I have no idea. Thanks for the post. It's good to start talking about ideas, maybe someone who can do something will pick up on it.

biggerbass

Post by biggerbass » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:37 am

I have always questioned the logic of only letting you keep the big fish, ie... the best of the best, etc & releasing the small ones. Doesn't it make sense to release all the large ones? say over 17' so they can propagate their genetic strain. just thinking..........

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:56 am

I'm not sure raising the minimum size will help. Most "big bass" are larger than 18" anyway.

I'm a BIG fan of slot limits ... combined with really low creel limits.

With the advancements made in replica mounts, the only reason to keep fish these days is to eat. In my opinion, its stupid to keep and eat a big fish. There are plenty of smaller fish to eat.

I'd vote for a 12" - 15" slot with a creel limit of two bass per person per day. People can make a nice meal out of two fish, and EVERYTHING over 15" goes back in the lake. Seriously, I can't think of any reason not to implement a slot!

Lastly, I've been fishing Black Lake for about 10 years. In the fish that I've personally caught, the size of the bass has been getting bigger. That might be due to my fishing skills getting better .... or maybe the lake isn't declining like folks are saying. Even if its is declining, the fishing is still DARN GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snakedoc

Post by snakedoc » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:29 pm

This conversation is great, maybe someone will take note. No arguements, just ideas, I believe we all want to maintain our fisheries. I believe any of the ideas posted are better than what exists. Maybe someone from the BL Chamber of Commerce will pick up the ball.
I love the lake, or my family wouldn't have been going back for the last 17 years, and in July no less. We 've stayed at the same place all those years. Pleasant View.

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:39 pm

I agree with and like the idea of a slot limit that is 12" to 15", with the limit of 2 and everything over 15 going back. Most of the fish I catch are 13 to 14". Two of us fished opening day from 5am till 8pm and caught 26 bass. 2 were under 12", 10 were 15 to 16", and the remaining 14 were 13 to 14".

tmutt

Post by tmutt » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:04 am

What would the slot limit be if there was an open season on Commorants? I vote for if it dives it just fit the slot and can be shot!
Tight lines,

Tmutt

snakedoc

Post by snakedoc » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:38 pm

I have invited the DEC to review the comments on this subject and to consider any possible changes. So having done that. Thank you all for your input and may
you fishing days be many and full of fun.
Tight lines...Snakedoc

sasnyder

Post by sasnyder » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:32 pm

I have to ask. Do you really expect the DEC to look into this anytime soon? In my past they are always to busy and would put it in the list. I'd be curious to hear what response you get from them.