Black Lake Alive and well.

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

snakedoc

Black Lake Alive and well.

Post by snakedoc » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:01 am

Just spend 6 days (my son in law and I) we caught 135 Bass, and several pike, nothing big. We averaged between 4- 8 hours a day fishing.
We weighed all of the Bass (except the small ones).
18 between 2 and 3 lbs.
2 (only 2, both at 3 lbs. 3 oz.)
We lost a few good ones but none in the 4 + range,
We bent the barb down on the hooks too many were swallowing the hook. Most of the Bass on Senko's. Some on top water a few on plugs, and only one on a spinnerbait. The Smallmouths were tough, only 4 in the 2 lb. range. The weeds were sparse, we were catching LM where the SM usually were.
I saw a lot of Bass being killed, one group had at least 18, more than enough for a fish fry. WE NEED a slot limit, and that's all I'll say about that.
Had a great time.......Tight lines and practice CPR (please)...Snakedoc

z-nail

Re: Black Lake Alive and well.

Post by z-nail » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:14 am

I agree on the slot limit. I was there the last week of June and I saw a lot of bass going to the fish cleaning house. No need for it.

Berky53
Newly Registered User

Post by Berky53 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:13 am

I would welcome a slot limit eventhough we don't keep fish!

Believer

Post by Believer » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:21 am

I am not a bass angler, so don't get angry at this. You talk about a slot limit, but what would happen if the minimum size limit on bass in Black Lake was pushed way up? Say, 18 inches for largemouth; 16 inches for smallmouth. Would people accept it? How many big ones would there be?

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:42 am

Most slot limit lakes that I have fished allow anglers to keep five bass per day. With a slot limit requiring all bass from 15-18 inches be released and only one kept fish over the 18 inch mark. This lets the "meat fishermen" keep a few but have to work harder to bring a big bass to the cleaning station. A larger mininum size of 18 inches would probably chase those who like to eat bass to other waters, not that some on this forum would have a problem with that. The businesses in the area would no doubt suffer greatly from this. I love this lake and would hate to see the cottage owners lose out. While I set at least 95% of all legal bass caught free, I do not find fault in those who keep the legal limit. This is not a hate letter, just my opinion. I will be at BL in two weeks and can't wait, we will be having one fish fry as we do each year but it will be panfish if they will cooperate with us. Tight lines all.
NEVER GIVE UP-MIKE IACONELLI

ICE ADDICT

Post by ICE ADDICT » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:21 am

wildchild wrote:Most slot limit lakes that I have fished allow anglers to keep five bass per day. With a slot limit requiring all bass from 15-18 inches be released and only one kept fish over the 18 inch mark. This lets the "meat fishermen" keep a few but have to work harder to bring a big bass to the cleaning station. A larger mininum size of 18 inches would probably chase those who like to eat bass to other waters, not that some on this forum would have a problem with that. The businesses in the area would no doubt suffer greatly from this. I love this lake and would hate to see the cottage owners lose out. While I set at least 95% of all legal bass caught free, I do not find fault in those who keep the legal limit. This is not a hate letter, just my opinion. I will be at BL in two weeks and can't wait, we will be having one fish fry as we do each year but it will be panfish if they will cooperate with us. Tight lines all.

Well put wildchild

I agree, about some fish being able to be harvested from Black Lake. Lets not forget, growing a successful lake is much like growing a successful vegetable garden, ie; it needs to be cultivated and most importantly HARVESTED, so that new crops can thrive.

Black Lake can more than handle people taking a limit of smaller fish out from time to time. The KEY to doing it right is SELECTIVE harvest. Don't take all the big ones, those are the best breeders, which have the best gene pools for growing big healthy bass. Take the smaller ones, no need to brag, take a picture of the big ones and show your friends/family when you return to shore, as your sharing a nice meal of fresh fish, you will feel great about what you've done, and the part you played in managing the fishery.
John Battistella

snakedoc

Post by snakedoc » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:55 am

I've sent all of the suggestions regarding slot limits to the BL Chamber of Commerce as well as the DEC.
The Chamber is basically in agreement, but indicated that fisherman have more of an impact on DEC than they do. SOOOOOOOO instead of us talking amoung ourselves, contact DEC with your suggestions. Maybe we can turn this around...Snakedoc

sasnyder

Post by sasnyder » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:13 am

The slot limits are a very good suggestion. I have spoke with DEC several times on this issue. They seem to be willing to help. maybe if they did receive more from the people they would work a little faster.(may be tough for them with the budget cuts). I personally fish for the enjoyment of catch and release. I don't care to eat fish.