Pan Fish - Bass Fishing

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Slate97

Pan Fish - Bass Fishing

Post by Slate97 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:01 am

Just left BL after a few glorious weeks. I wanted to point out a few things I witnessed while there. I saw a few people pan fishing..were told by locals that they sell the fish they catch. This one guy I saw, who was fishing mostly in the south part of the lake and river was keeping anything and everything...size didn’t matter. I saw him constantly every day we were there..morning...afternoon and night....I assumed he had caught buckets full and was taking them back and unloading them and heading out for more. I was told that some people make excess of $500.00 a week selling fish.
Also I witnessed numerous people keeping undersize bass (10 to 12 inch range) when they were told the bass had to be 15 inches.... they said "ok"..however I never saw any of these people released the undersize fish. I could have taken down their hull numbers...but...without proof of their identity as to who was actually committing these offenses ..it seemed pointless.
If this is going to be the case...and with the state’s budget cuts...with less and less DEC presence on the lake I can only imagine what the future of the lake will be.

sasnyder

Re: Pan Fish - Bass Fishing

Post by sasnyder » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:18 am

This truly is sad. I hope that due to the economy that more people will not be doing this. If a large amount of people are fishing for anything and everything to sell, in a short time that could be devastating. I would think there would be rules about buying fish especially if they are going to local resturants or stores - who knows.

ICE ADDICT

Post by ICE ADDICT » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:03 pm

I watched the same exact thing two years ago under the bridge. ALL day long, two buckets overflowing with fish of all kinds, every day for a week straight......ridiculous.
John Battistella

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:08 am

None of what you say is "news", for Black Lake or any other lake. There will always be the few, that just don't care. I am not defending them, just stating a fact.
St. Lawrence, Jefferson and Franklin Counties have a full slate of Conservation Officers on duty (not one position has been cut). The real problem with DEC Officers is "what" they are actually doing. I would guess that 50 or more % of their time is spent on Environmental issues other than fish and game. Like answering complaints about someone someone burning trash! That's part of their job.
Just my opinion.
Phil
Phil

aj2001

Post by aj2001 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:35 am

My brother saw a guy a few weeks back keeping 12-15" sturgeon here in the upstate in Genesee river....he told him it was illegal and the guy responded "no speak english" and packed up and left w/ a handful of sturgeon on a stringer.....there will always be #$@holes out there

jigginmike

Post by jigginmike » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:49 am

Just a suggestion for witnessing illegal taking of fish or any other illegal activity - Since most everyone these days has a cell phone, save the phone number of your local DEC officers or the general call number in your phone. When you see something illegal, just call it in with as much info as possible. Whether they are able to respond quick enough or at all is up to them but at least you have done your part to report it. I have the phone numbers for my local police, state police, sheriffs and DEC saved just in case.

ICE ADDICT

Post by ICE ADDICT » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:34 pm

AND, make sure you get their License plate number if possible. This way if the dirt bags flee the scene before the DEC arrives, the officers will go to their place of residence and arrest them!

Been there, done it, ESPECIALLY with the "no speak English" crap!
John Battistella

492VS

Post by 492VS » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:33 pm

I don't have the regulation book on me and do usually not target panfish, but don't they have a 50 fish limit per day per person still in effect to crack down on the fish selling?

492VS

Post by 492VS » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:50 pm

Video on how to clean and cook panfish by Heather!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3iDdPfU ... ature=fvwp