Fishing on Wednesday August 10th.

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

ragincajun

Fishing on Wednesday August 10th.

Post by ragincajun » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:27 pm

Haven't been fishing on the lake in weeks as my boat was in the shop getting a new power pack, new impellor (sp) , and new plugs. Yesterday afternoon and today was my only time off this week to fish. The weather held me back until 9am this morning when I couldn't sit home anymore. When I got to the lake around 10am, I wasn't on the water more than ten minutes when I looked at the sky and thought....oh man this was a bad idea. Not more than 200 yards down stream from the state launch...I headed back.
Sitting in front of the dock in my 19' bass boat, knowing this was my only day off and chance....I sat...and sat..wondered what the weather was going to do. I stayed out and it started to rain and then quit. The sky began to break up and hope was near. I fished until 2pm, making it down as far as lonesome bay. I was trying to stay near the state launch instead of fishing to far away like Conger island, as I was alone, the boat just came out of the garage, and the weather was still iffy. Actually it as windy as heck. Fishing was very very hard, so I headed back across the main channel to the state launch. WOW the waves were huge. I was banging against them, somtimes leaving the water completely...so it seemed. I finally met bad luck. The bow of my boat didn't hit the next big wave. Instead it went down into the center of it. A wave so big crashed over the boat right into my face. Ripped off my windshield and fish finder. Tough day, one windshield short, huge bruised up forehead, cut nose, but ok otherwise. I would say my pride was hurt the most. How should I have been driving across the waves? I was on plane but going slow.

How did everyone else do today with the adverse crazy weather changes?

wildchild

Re: Fishing on Wednesday August 10th.

Post by wildchild » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:45 am

Dude! That is straight up Iaconelli crazy! Glad to hear that you are mostly OK though. I have always been told to head straight into the waves and to go as fast as conditions allow, but if the boat is coming all the way out of the water I guess you did all that you can.
NEVER GIVE UP-MIKE IACONELLI

492VS

Post by 492VS » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:49 am

At least it wasn't a trifecta with the trolling motor ripping off the deck and hitting you on the way over. Helped out a bass boat guy once that launched himself on a St Lawrence river roller and dove into the next one. Every thing on and bolted down on his deck was gone. He received his U-Boat Commander pin on that dive. Said that was the first time he ever saw such a wave.
It was a little windy there today. One last inspection of my place I'm closing on Friday!!! When your running with the waves if possible stay on top of them with the motor trimmed up a little to lift the bow. Modulate the throttle to have the front and back parts of the hull on the wave peaks so you never drop down in the valley. Depending on the width of the wave you might have to slow down but that only seems to create busting the next wave with the middle of the hull and pile driving your spine. I hate that wind direction since it makes a cross wave when trying to load the boat on the trailer. I left the area around 3:30 PM and the clouds looked pretty menacing rolling down the St Lawrence river area.

tmutt

Post by tmutt » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:33 am

Oh 'dem, waves! There has been times late in fall that crossing the lake was an extreme work out.

I have never recieved my "U-Boat Commander pin" however!
Tight lines,

Tmutt

Niagara-eyes

Post by Niagara-eyes » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:22 pm

Thats an ordeal I havn't experienced! I have always had a deepV aluminum boat that really handles the waves well. Wish I could say the same for my stomach when there are 3-6" rollers on lake erie! I know chumming the water is illegal.......