Sept

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Jim

Sept

Post by Jim » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:18 am

I have been going to Canada to fish since 96. Last June I found out I was throwing away time and money because I tried Black Lake. Had a good time in June last year and this year. Didn't catch anywhere near the numbers of fish listed in this forum but I am still learning the lake. Going back on Sept 12th for a few days staying at McClears. I am looking for advice. I understand Senko's, rigged wacky I assume, are good. The two times I have been up Spinnerbaits and small white grubs seemed to be the ticket. Usually went to Lonsome bay and Back Bay. A buddy tried the Pimple and did quite well there. Any other suggestions? The bloom should be gone by then the water cooled down a little bit. Would like to find some smallies. I guess anywhere near rocks will do.

Thanks
Jim

Gary

Re: Sept

Post by Gary » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:01 pm

Hi Jim,
I would just like to say. I to used to go to Canada. Cranberry lake off of the Radou canal. Extra driving, getting a fishing license, changing money and the Saturday hassle at customs.
About 8 years ago, I tried B.L. and I have not gone back (I live in NYS).

It's my wife and I. We don't get up early, we are out about 9:00am and stay out all day, till about 5:00pm.
We don't catch the fish like the early morning or evening fisherman do, but we have a great time.

We go after bass and pike. We use 5 in. Sinkos Texas rig with a cone sinker in front, Johnson silver minnow, very large silver rattle trap and spinner baits. For the most part, the idea is to get through the weeds. This year we did very well with a 5 or 6 inch paddle tale perch plastic swim bait using a 1/2 ounce jig into it. The pike loved it. We also use standard jigs, but all in all, it's hard to beat the sinko. Can you believe it, the rattle trap caught a 34 in cat fish. That's a 1st time for me.

We like to work the weeds, or the weed edges. Not the banks or shore, as they seem to get pounded before we even get out.

A lot of people use the Sinko wacky rig with great success. For me, the Texas rig gets through the weeds better and is less hassle. Although, it seems to me, that wacky would get better hook ups.

I tried 30 pound mono floro. leader this year hopping the pike would not cut it off. Only partial success. I wife had a complete cut off and I caught 2 that nearly cut through the leader. I hope to get back Sept. 10th for a week. I may try 50 pd mono floro leader.

I don't fish for walleyes, but I seem to catch about 1 a year. This year I got a nice 24 inch walleye on the silver minnow in upper deep bay. He was a nice fish, but rather thin.

Hope this helps,

Gary

Jim

Re: Sept

Post by Jim » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:55 am

Thanks Gary.

We will try all of that. I do hope you have some luck there this Sept also. Maybe we will see you on the lake. We will be there 12 to 16 Sept.

Thanks again for the info.

Jim