Guided Bass Trip 8/18

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

GuidedBassTrips

Guided Bass Trip 8/18

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:58 am

Thursday 8/18 I had 3 anglers on board for a guided bass trip on Black Lake. Adam Witz had hired me last year and I also took his dad and mom then. This year it was Adam, Sean, and his dad John. They met me at Log Cabins and the trip was to be a surprise for Sean as he was not aware until morning that he was going with me. Fortunately I had shiners on board for this year's trip. After striking out first thing on what is normally a good smallmouth shoal, I switched to a largemouth spot and they caught bass after bass on the shiners. I didn't count how many but definetely more than 10 in a short time period. Later I took them to another smallmouth shoal before we went in for lunch and John hooked up with a solid smallmouth on the crayfish that broke him off and Adam caught a decent one on the crayfish. So after lunch I decided to try harder for smallmouth with the crayfish. A couple of days ago I noticed the smallmouth were really biting in the current by the bridge. I usually don't take customers here because of the boat traffic and current but when its working it can be the best smallmouth spot on the lake. Unfortunately, this time the wind was getting strong on the main lake and was pushing the water through faster than usual. So they weren't able to keep their crayfish in the strike zone. And the water seemed even greener coming through from the main lake this time also making visibility poorer. And the waves were getting bigger on the main lake side, so suddenly I realized my mistake of taking them here with the wrong conditions. We called it a day eventually with Log Cabins fortunately close by.

The smallmouth are now biting good on the bottom and I am hoping to have better action with them on future trips coming up. The main lake is still green with the clearer water still on the south end. The largemouth are in there usual weed/rock mixture areas and the best presentation depends on water color. Topwaters, senkos, and of course shiners will still work on the south end. Remember to fish the bottom slowly when in the green water.

Good luck to everyone fishing the lake.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.