Fishing Report Week of August 13-19th

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

wags57

Fishing Report Week of August 13-19th

Post by wags57 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:45 pm

Hello All,
Thought I would post the results of our Black Lake trip. As info, a friend, my son and I hit the lake starting last Saturday. Fishing was good. It is a lot better than I can do in Western Pennsylvania. We landed a 26 inch Walleye, a 34 inch Northern and a 20 inch Largemouth and 20 inch Smallmouth. We caught a lot of Northerns in the 18 to 26 inch range. For a while I thought we were fishing in Canada because of the numbers of Northern. We generally throw for anything that will hit but look mainly for Northerns and Bass. We caught a lot of good bass both Large and Smallies. We threw a ton of spinner baits and in-line spinners. One very interesting afternoon had us in the middle of a major school of long-nose gar. We caught five of them. They are actually a hoot to catch as all five took to the air. All five were around 36 inches long. Everything was released including the Walleye (along with a 20 inch Walleye). We saw two Bald Eagles, tons of Osprey and had a great time. We mainly fished the lower end of the lake. Black Lake is a very nice place to fish.
I will add one thing though, there was a gentleman with a kid that looked to be a teen-ager and you could see the gentleman was trying to teach the kid on where to throw and to 'read' the lake and structure. I thought that this was very nice to see. The issue I had is that we were fishing a small cove on the tip of a point and the gentleman and kid rounded the bend right in front of us. I know they could not have seen us as they were working up the shoreline. No problem, you come across a boat that is fishing a spot and you can simply go around that boat or go somewhere else. This gentleman proceeded to basically fish right next to us. I think the proper term is crowd or pinch us. We were going to mention something but we did not since there was a young person on that boat. I do wish the 'gentleman' would have used this a learning moment for the youth and taught him proper fishing manners. I know it is a small thing but I think when I can cast from my boat and put the lure in your boat, that you moved in a little to close. My two cents worth and my fishing report. I have been to Black Lake three years in a row (August, Sept and August) and I catch more fish and bigger fish than I would catch in Canada, namely the French River). You are truly blessed to have such furtile water.
wags

erik

Re: Fishing Report Week of August 13-19th

Post by erik » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:43 pm

I was up at my camp from the 12th to the 21st. I was on the Injured Reserve for most of the week. My two boys and I did manage to get out the evening of Saturday the 19th. We were out for about an hour before dark tucked behind Snake Island at the northern end of the lake. We were throwing top water frogs and rubber weedless worms, both bright colors, no luck at all. So we switched over to Weedless Ike-Con Green Leeches and their Do-Nothing worms, in about 20 minutes we had 4 fish in the boat. Eli and I had our first double, hopefullly the first of many. Erik also put a bass in the boat. I can't wait to almost figure this lake out!

Erik

G3
Attachments
erik fish.jpg
erik fish.jpg (19.07 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
Daddy and Eli with a double.jpg
Daddy and Eli with a double.jpg (13.02 KiB) Viewed 2405 times