Guided Bass Trips 8/29 through 9/1

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

GuidedBassTrips

Guided Bass Trips 8/29 through 9/1

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:47 pm

Mike and Debbie Lempa from Texas booked me again this year for 3 days of bass fishing in the north country Mon, Tues, and Wed. They stay in Alex Bay and I try to take them to the best bass fishing the area has depending on the weather. They told me it had been over 100 degrees 50 something days in a row when they left and really enjoy the fishing here. I also try to get them on quality smallmouth since they catch plenty of largemouth in Texas. Black Lake is by far the most consistent day in and day out but is really a better largemouth lake. This year we ended up fishing Black Lake Mon and Tues. Mon was the day after the hurricane and Tues the wind just blew hard all day on its own. They are good anglers and like to compete against one another. After the first day she was up by 3 and after day two they were tied. I forget their exact count but I believe they totaled over 40 bass in the two days. And of couse more were largemouth than smallmouth. I had them using crayfish targeting the smallmouth but the bite was inconsistent. The largemouth bit better on senkos and shiners and the largest was 4lbs. Largest smallmouth was 3lbs. Wed the forecast was for it to be calm so I took them to my favorite smallmouth fishery, the Lake Ontario Bays launching at Sackets Harbor. They ended up catching almost as many fish as Black Lake, but all were smallmouth, with 3 over 4lbs and several 3lbers. I think they may have caught more if I hadn't been so insistent on them throwing a spinnerbait. It was a beautiful day and may have been too calm for that. Most of the bass came on tubes and senkos. They finished the 3 days with of course Debbie winning by one. They really enjoyed the fishing here once again.

On Thurs 9/1 Buddy and his 11 yr old son Mathew are from NYC and were staying at Log Cabins. I started on a point with shiners and Matthew started catching largemouth one after another. Dad caught some too including a couple of bonus smallmouth on that point. The action was fast until mid-morning and the bite seemed to just quit. They caught a few more the rest of the day in other areas but I had to keep moving them around. I was able to coach dad how to fish the crayfish but Matthew didn't have the patience. We picked up more shiners at lunch but even that bite was spotty in the afternoon. Matthew had been counting his fish and ended up with 21. I know one was close to 4 lbs and probably 5 were around 3lbs. It was a good fishing day for an 11 yr old. All bass were caught on circle hooks and released.

Going in to this holiday weekend Black Lake has cleared up quite a bit from two weeks ago. The water temperature is right at 70 degrees. I think it is still early yet for a fall like feeding binge but the fishing is definetely picking up possibly due more to the clearer water. The senko bite is stronger and I would think reaction baits like spinnerbaits and topwaters will be getting better also.

Good luck to all fishing the lake.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

irishman13

Re: Guided Bass Trips 8/29 through 9/1

Post by irishman13 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:20 pm

Great tips! I am leaving in about an hour for a weekend of fishing at BL!!!

MSIBBALD
Newly Registered User

Post by MSIBBALD » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:22 pm

Coming up tonight for my first visit to black lake with my wife. Any advice on pike fishing? My wife has never caught one! Thanks in advance

BassSeeker

Post by BassSeeker » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:01 pm

Sounds great Randy, Joe and I will see you on 9-11.
Mike