Guided Bass Trip 6/17

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

GuidedBassTrips

Guided Bass Trip 6/17

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:47 pm

My opening day trip for Saturday unfortunately had to cancel, so Sunday was my first guided bass trip for the season on Black Lake. I actually had four anglers on board, Ben and Todd in the morning, and Mike and Dwayne in the afternoon. All are from PA and were staying at Indian Head Point.

I knew the wind was going to blow after such a calm day on Saturday. We started at 6am and I would normally have had them both fishing topwaters to begin. Ben did throw a topwater some but it was obvious it wasn't the right morning for it. So of course I couldn't resist having them fish a senko. Which was surprisingly slow. They caught a few small largemouth off two different shoals, but it wasn't until I arrived at a spot on a big weedline that they started catching fish consistently. Ben caught the biggest ones which were all around 3 lbs.

We came in around noon for a break and to switch anglers. I had no intentions of fishing with live bait but with the slow morning, went to Log Cabins and picked up some crayfish. There was alot of boat traffic by now and the wind was picking up. After having Mike and Dwayne throw a senko and a spinnerbait for a little while, with virtually no action, I set them up on an offshore shoal with the crayfish. They caught 4 bass fairly quickly, 3 were good fighting smallmouth, the biggest about 3 lbs. I had only picked up 2 dozen crayfish so we were out of them soon. They went back to the artificials for the rest of the afternoon, staying out quite late, hoping the action would pick up. They only caught 3 more small largemouth.

The overall fishing seemed slow compared to opening weekend last season. It seemed like mid-July type fishing this year. I usually don't need to use live bait this early because the outer shoals and points usually are not working good yet. But this a different year and I may spend more time offshore next trip. All bass were caught on circle hooks and released.

Good luck to everyone fishing the lake.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.