Guided bass trip 7/5

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

GuidedBassTrips

Guided bass trip 7/5

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:37 am

Thursday 7/5 I had repeat customers Mike Sherwood and his son Chris for a guided bass trip again on Black Lake. But this time Chris brought along his 11 yr old daughter Delaney. They are from Syracuse and made the long drive up in the morning. I knew last year I had wild shiners on board for Mike and Chris and it would be important to have some on board for Delaney this time too. I was able to catch about 2 dozen and also brought along 3 dozen crayfish.

The artificial fishing does seem to be slowing down already this year like it does every year in July. So I started with the shiners right away, setting Delaney up on a rock point. She proceeded to catch bass after bass on that point while dad and her grandfather watched and took pictures. I had to coach her on setting the hook, which with the circle hooks is really just a good firm pull at the right time. Chris even took a video of one of her catches and emailed it to me (Thanks Chris). It was a smallmouth that had another one following the hooked bass. The rest were all largemouth up to 3 1/2 pounds. Guiding near Disneyland all winter has helped me with kids. Fishing shiners under a float is by far the best way to get them bass. Later on after the shiners were gone, I had them fishing with the senkos for a while. Delaney learned how to cast a spinning rod and Chris and Mike caught a few small largemouth. In the afternoon, I set them up with the crayfish on a couple of shoals. They caught a few 2-3 pound smallmouth and a couple nice largemouth. Dad coached Delaney on working the crayfish on the bottom and she did finally hook up with one but broke it off on the anchor rope. All bass were caught on circle hooks and released.

Good luck to everyone fishing the lake.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.