Yearly Fishing Trip

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Pike-Buster

Yearly Fishing Trip

Post by Pike-Buster » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:44 pm

Just got home after a good week of fishing despite the algea bloom and low waters. This was actually one of our better years fishing the lake. I found out early on in the trip we had to go deep and fish the shoals to get fish. Fishing around the shoals and shoreline from crab island to the Edwardsville bridge we found to be the most productive. During the day we got most of our fish (all smallmouth) on football jigs. At night and in the morning we couldn't get the smallies to stop hitting topwaters. This was also the first year in 60 years coming up to the lake between us we didn't catch a pike. Our biggest Smallie for the week was 21" and 5lbs even. Also managed to get a nice 27" walleye that weighed about 6lbs. For the week we got about 50 Smallies, 2 largemouth, and the 1 walleye. Cant wait to come back up in the fall for a weekend, always enjoy our stay on Black Lake.

sakman33

Re: Yearly Fishing Trip

Post by sakman33 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:52 pm

Sounds like ya hit some big smallies. my only luck in the past was w/crankbaits and crayfish. Headed up 2morro for a few days. If ya don't mind me asking, what type of top waters were ya using and where were these most productive? also, how deep were ya fishing these? Thanks!

Pike-Buster

Re: Yearly Fishing Trip

Post by Pike-Buster » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:46 pm

The topwater I was using was a Zara spook, to me there is no better topwater than a spook. I got fish on the shoals around crab and limestone islands. Got them in as shallow as 5 ft and as deep as 12 ft on the topwater at night and early morning. Did get some on crankbaits in the deep water off some of the shoals too. Weather needs to be right conditions for this, only had 2 maybe 3 days all week I could fish the topwater with good results. Good luck and have fun.