Report 9-1/9-2

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Walleye Guy

Report 9-1/9-2

Post by Walleye Guy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:46 pm

Finally got back to Black last weekend for a little R & R after being away for 3 years. I had previously been coming to the lake for the past 17 years or better but have been spending more of my fishing days chasing saltwater gamefish in the blue water of the Keys.
Upon arrival two things were evident, lower water levels and an abundance of weeds. Saturday morning we spent about 3 hours pitching jigs (bitsy bug w/swimming trailer)around the islands (Strawberry, Hogs Back Etc.) on the Southern side only to pick up 2 decent LM off a point in the 2lb. range. I changed over to a crawfish crank for a while but after fishing for another hour realized a big change was needed. We left the South side and headed under the causeway.
Four words people: The first two are Lily pads. If you can find em you can catch em. The second two Santa Claus, yep after 3 years he's still out there but missing a few of his entourage. My first cast with a weightless rubber worm to a set of isolated pads was met with a resounding thunk, I set the hook and a nice 4lb.er was caught and released. We proceeded to catch & release another 10 or so nice fish and headed back for a late lunch. That night we went back out to the front side of Jennies Island which also produced. We then headed back to the first cove and absolutely killed them on topwaters. A curious note was that smaller lures such as a skitter pop and rebel popper were much more effective than larger lures. My partner also boated two pike on a spinnerbait.
Sunday morning I figured we head up to the bays near the Oswegatchie as I was keyed in on pads plus a tournament was on and most boats were on the South side. However, the weeds and muck is so thick up top that my trolling motor would bind up. We ended up fishing the first 3 bays again and boated about 20 more bass. The key is to get into the pads, work your offering over the top and through the holes of the mat. A spro frog was also working well. Once the sun is beating you down head in for lunch, a nice nap and come out at night armed with small topwaters......It was nice to be back, it's still a great lake!