Fishing report 5-4 to 5-9

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Bob-O

Fishing report 5-4 to 5-9

Post by Bob-O » Sat May 04, 2013 9:50 pm

OK..here is the scoop. We arrived on Friday and went out for crappie. The lake is really low for this time of year. The weather is really off, it was down right hot 79F. Water was about 66f in the channel and about 68 in the bays (west side) big bay was a little colder. The crappie were not biting for us. We were using jigs and not having much luck (we are new at crappie fishing). We caught a few and some nice perch. At the fish cleaning house the guy next to us had about 20 all well over 10” did not ask him were and how. Our neighbor said this is the time to float a bobber and minnow so we will try that. Now for the pike, in the morning (hot and sunny no wind again) hard fishing again. We boated about 6 and really had to work for them, the largest was 24”. This afternoon we burned in the sun no wind at all. We fished like crazy and only caught one that was lost at the boat. This is my 13th season and never had weather like this. It’s usually windy rough water and gray and cold (the way I like it) it feels like July. Over all I am glad to be here and see all my camp friends.
Catch and Release the big ones!!
Practice Conservation

wildchildz

Re: Fishing report 5-4 to 5-9

Post by wildchildz » Sat May 04, 2013 10:36 pm

Thanks for the info, hope you can figure it out. Those crappie sure are tasty! Good luck!

erik

Post by erik » Sun May 05, 2013 2:44 pm

Me and my two boys got into the crappie saturday evening. We were averaging 11"-13" per fish. We were leaving camp sunday morning and i was tired of fileting crappie from saturday morning so i released them all! I don't like to leave locations on here but i will give info out if you call or text me. Erik 315-783-3962

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Sun May 05, 2013 8:13 pm

erik wrote:Me and my two boys got into the crappie saturday evening. We were averaging 11"-13" per fish. We were leaving camp sunday morning and i was tired of fileting crappie from saturday morning so i released them all! I don't like to leave locations on here but i will give info out if you call or text me. Erik 315-783-3962
Nice 8) I'll bet your phone is "ringing" off the hook! :big-grin:
Phil

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sun May 05, 2013 10:32 pm

May 5th. Went out this morning, very hot and no wind again looking for pike. Fished lonesome bay, big bay, black bay, mile arm bay and gridstone not much luck. We boated 3 pike largest was 20” all went back in the water. We went out this afternoon and left late due to the heat. The bite did pick up for pike but we were going to try for crappie. The minnow thing did not work out too well for crappie. We started using some light jigs 1/64 oz and started to find some. We were around hogback island and the bite picked up around 6:30pm. We were now having some fun, we were pulling in fish, we ended up with a dozen keepers largest was 13”. The bobber fishermen (for pike) were starting to have luck, they make a lot of noise when they land one(yelling and screaming! Maybe the beer kicking in). So tomorrow I’m hoping the pike bite picks up for us spoon fishermen. The weather is supposed to change in the next day or two so hopefully we won’t bake in the sun. Thanks Erik for the invite, I will PM you so as not to tie up your phone. Good luck to all that are out in this heat trying to hook up. Another note at mile arm bay on the east rock wall we were seeing a lot of large schools of carp big carp, we also saw gar pike in numbers there too.
Practice Conservation

TeamEighmey2013
Newly Registered User

Post by TeamEighmey2013 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:21 am

Bobber and Tube Jig tipped with minnow for the crappies, if there sitting deeper replace bobber with split shot....a lot of time the glo tube jig works good but their funny sometimes odd colors work better

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Mon May 06, 2013 10:27 pm

May 6th. Water temperature did not change much. The morning we finally had some chop on the water. Thought things were going to change, wrong. We managed 5 crappie and one pike 22”. The afternoon was pretty much the same. We are still having a great time being at the lake and talking to all our camp friends. Tomorrow morning we are headed north (thanks Erik) to drift around upper big bay and Mitchell bay. Looks like Wednesday it might cloud up and drizzle, I hope so. Also I’m hearing that the big pike posted in the winter (30#+) was a black lake pike. Sorry big mouth if it was a secret.
Practice Conservation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Wed May 08, 2013 9:48 pm

Sorry for the not posting yesterday, I was locked out and had to change my password?? However did not miss much fishing is still tough. The water level is dropping fast, maybe a foot since we been here. The camp guys said it dropped two to three feet in the last two weeks. The water is still between 66F and 69F depending where you are. Low winds from south west. Today the weather changed, started to rain around 3pm and we went out at 4pm. The wind picked up and so did the lake, the ride out was pretty rough. The pike bite for spoons still is not producing. We only ended up with a few in the boat but all were released. The crappie however are hitting pretty good. During the rain we were doing very well for crappie and perch, when the rain stopped so did the bite. We ended at 8pm and returned early with a dozen nice crappie and a few nice perch. We are only keeping the largest crappie 10” to 13” the rest are returned. So this trip so far we only caught about two dozen pike (on lures) the largest was 24”. We have plenty of fish in the freezer for the year. This will be my last post unless something worth posting happens. Thanks to our friends for the tips for crappie, if not for that the trip would not be as good as it was. Good luck to all, there is no other place like Black Lake.
Practice Conservation

wildchildz

Post by wildchildz » Thu May 09, 2013 12:59 am

Thanks for all of the posts, enjoy!