North End May 18th-25th

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

JR

North End May 18th-25th

Post by JR » Tue May 28, 2013 10:42 am

First of all, I would like to apologize to the guy I was telling that you can catch a pike anywhere in the lake, practically. I have never had such bad pike fishing in all the years I've fished here. Anyone that was there that week can vouch for the fact that the weather pretty much gave the pike a bad case of lockjaw. I caught a total of 3 pike for the week with one of them coming off at the boat. (I normally wouldn't count that, but it was 1/3 of my weeks total) I'd love to give tips on how to catch them, but nothing I did worked. If I had to do it over again, I would have gone with a 1/4 to 1/2 ounce jig and slow worked it on the outside of the weed lines towards the center of the lake.

As far as the bass go, of course we weren't targeting them, but as you fish for pike, you will catch them. Even with the slow fishing, you could still catch a good number of bass. The guys coming in for opening of bass should have another good year.

Pan fishing was even slow. We had trouble getting on to good numbers of Bluegill and anything of size. We were surprised at how few perch we caught, they usually are almost a nuisance. Sunfish were the primary panfish caught but mostly medium sized ones not worth keeping. We found them on the outskirts of the crappie holes.

Now for the Crappie, which was pretty much the saving grace of the week. It took some looking but we found a couple holes the did very well. They appeared to be more off of rock shoreline than weeds and were in about 4-5 foot of water. Fish we caught early in the week all had eggs and by Thursday, none of them did. It looks as if they just spawned this past week so adjust your fishing accordingly. Tube jigs 18 inches under a pencil bobber worked great. They weren't hitting hard, so the small bobber helped.

I wish I had more information to give, but Mother Nature had different plans for us. I will be fishing Thousand Islands next week for pike and walleye, and I'll post the report after.

Good luck everyone.