North End Fishing Report 5/16-5/23

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

JR

North End Fishing Report 5/16-5/23

Post by JR » Tue May 26, 2015 7:35 am

As always, we had a great time at Black Lake, but once again the weather was not our side. Our fishing was hindered close to half of our week due to high winds. This report for the week really only covers the first 3 days since the rest was pretty much a wash.

Pike: We hit fairly good numbers of pike, but most were on the small side. 27" was our largest with probably a half dozen in the 25-26" category. We cast our standard lures for them in the bays and found them closer to the center of the bay than near the edges. We did not use live bait, which could have improved our numbers and sizes.

Bass: While targeting Pike, you can't help but catch bass. They were numerable as well as very healthy looking. We didn't catch as many monsters as in past years, but good numbers. They bit on everything from large lures to Crappie jigs.

Crappie: It took some searching, but when you found them you could do pretty well. We never really saw the "Frenzy" that we have in the past, but fishing was solid with a good amount of 10-11 inchers. Once again, we didn't use live bait, but did well on small lures, jigs and small jigs under floats. The fish were roughly in the middle of the small bay when we found them, not right on shore. Several days later after the winds I worked that whole area and didn't catch a single one. I'm not sure if it was due to weather giving them lock-jaw or that they had moved on.

Panfish: The large Bluegill, Sunfish and Perch were few and far between. We spent a good amount of time looking for them, but never really did. The small ones were all over the place and it was hard not to catch them.

I hope this helps and good luck to everyone.

riverposie

Re: North End Fishing Report 5/16-5/23

Post by riverposie » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:20 am

cant wait to get there..we go for opening of bass & stay for a month..last year my wife & i caught 100 bass a day every day for the month & many 2-6 lbs. Hope to do that this year too

tr21

Post by tr21 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:53 am

Sure would like to know where you were fishing. I do well but not like that.

chris14race

Post by chris14race » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:43 pm

Wow that's crazy numbers

tr21

Post by tr21 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:02 pm

No way can that happen in Black Lake. I think someone is blowing SMOKE.

danielsardina

Post by danielsardina » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:17 pm

100 bass per day is impressive! Are you catching them on artificial lures? What % are largemouth and what % are smallmouth? I'm sure you don't want to disclose all of your tactics, but any general tips (section of lake, habitat, patterns) would be greatly appreciated. I'll be there at the happy fisherman from 6/27 - 7/4. My lifelong buddy Henry and his brother Lou and I will be hoping to catch 100 bass on BL in a day. I know it can be done, I just have yet to stay on them good for an entire day.

LTC

Post by LTC » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:41 am

This can be done I fish alone and not a entire day go morning and late afternoon and will get up to 30 and some times more each time I go out, so don't think any smoke is being blown, and with water being low targeting them should be a slaughter house, and just to add I've been there six years and have kept less than twenty bass to eat, have had people who fish bass on other lakes and bass events come up with me and they are amazed at the numbers that they pull from the lake in a day, catch and release makes this possible on Black Lake.

chris14race

Post by chris14race » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:57 am

Catch and release is the ticket. In 7 years of coming we have only kept one bass and a handful of crappie.

fishinmagician

Post by fishinmagician » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:00 pm

Let me see if I understand this. You and your wife caught 100 fish a day for 30 days. During this time did you have any bad days when you only caught 80 or 90? You claim to have caught up to 3000 fish. If you lipped that many fish, you both would have bled to death by your thumbs. I've had days when I caught a dozen or more bass and my thumb looked like I touched a belt sander. Most of the people on this site have been fishing BL for many years, and know what is and is not real.
The second amendment is in place, in case THEY decide to ignore all the others.

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:22 pm

Although the numbers seem a little stretched I just hope all abide by the laws governing the taking of fish at Black Lake. No early season exists for Catch & Release of Bass in Black Lake. Bass fishing season begins the third Saturday in June - Minimum size is 15 inches to be kept. Catch and Release is the best way to go to maintain the populations of fish in our lake. Enjoying the lake and its fishing and abiding by the rules should be the utmost for all who visit or use our lake. Catch & Release!!!

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:29 pm

We all know catching 100 bass a day each day for a month straight isn't true.

But the fact that catching 100 bass between two people in one day is actually possible ..... that's why I love Black Lake!

Besides, reading on-line fishing reports is like watching TV. You know it's all fake, but it's still entertaining.

chris14race

Post by chris14race » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:16 pm

Gotta love fish tales

tr21

Post by tr21 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:58 pm

I think the post was to see how much crap he could start.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:43 pm

Oh, I don't know; I think I might know a few folks that could live up to that tale. :D It wouild be "work" though and not a lot of fun.

Anyone know how the tagged fish event is progressing?
Phil

492VS

Post by 492VS » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:28 am

I know parts of the lake very well and will fish for that one or two bites now. I would never amass those numbers or try to even keep track up that high. A hundred of any size in one day is possible. 30 days in a row questionable. My record is 13 casts in a row with a bass, only two were of legal size. Dusk and dawn catching fish on topwater can add those numbers up fast. My best day ever for legal size fish was 16 many years ago. What has merit in the original post is the first few weeks of the season the fish are abundant and chewing lures or live bait. As the weeks pass by the easy fish are caught and some are cleaned for consumption. Others that have been hooked once or twice are leary of biting anything for a while. Try catching a hundred in a day late august or septemer. I would estimate a little tougher. Crap some days I have been shut out. I always wondered how many bass were removed from the lake per day for table fare. Multiply the camps, fishermen or fisherwomen. Would 500 a day seem unreasonable or to little. In one month 15000 would be gone. And maybe 2500 now reached 15 inches. I seem to catch large numbers of 14 1/2 to 14 3/4 inch fish. So this usually crosses my mind when I don't catch a bass all day later in the season of how many fish have been removed.