Jul 30 - Aug 5 Trip

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

brian_c

Jul 30 - Aug 5 Trip

Post by brian_c » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:57 am

My wife was telling my 4 yr & 2 yr old sons that we were on an adventure and boy were we ever! Brakes on the trailer stuck for part of the trip so I managed to cook the grease out of those bearings. Then around Syracuse on 81 there was a nasty car accident on 81 South involving a Dually pulling an equipment trailer. Watched it swerve a couple times in the center lane to then watch it make a hard right into a grove of trees where at least one tree came down. Saw traffic stop to help the driver - haven't found anything online about the accident.

I mention the above as it basically set the tone for the entire week. Water temps up near 80 but didn't see too much of a bloom on the South side of the lake. Managed to raise a large largemouth bass Sunday night - took lots of drag and from what I saw of the fish I'd say it was in the 18-20" category. Broke water twice which resulted in my #3 Mepps coming back at me very quickly without said fish. Other than that, only a few panfish made it into the boat. To be honest...3 Crappie, 1 bluegill and 1 perch - all thrown back. Very hot the entire week. Weeds were like a carpet - good luck getting through them.

Definitely an off year for my family - had 4 boats out and kids on the dock. Numbers were WAY down from previous years - only 1 or 2 pike were caught the entire trip.

Water level - seemed about normal if not up about a foot from last year. Still didn't help my wife as she smacked something that brought the boat to a sudden halt. Luckily we were only at idle but still enough to get you thinking.

New dock at ramp - something to experience I'll say. What person made the end float THAT much??? Would be better with a couple posts sunk into the ground to stabilize it as pulling out on Friday evening was a CHORE. And those lovely bollards? Seriously??

**For those interested...brakes stuck on the way back home too even after having the trailer serviced. Currently sitting at my cousin's house near Watertown awaiting further repairs so it can make the trip back to WNY.