Bass Tournament on Saturday, Oct. 15

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Tori

Bass Tournament on Saturday, Oct. 15

Post by Tori » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:29 pm

What was the name of the bass tournament held this past Sat.??
Lots of rude guys. Tournament closed at 3pm and all hell broke loose at the Black Lake launch site. My wife and I were in the middle of the closing when 30 boats came to the ramp all at once. I was in line to get out just before this all came to a head. They would drop a guy off to get their car and trailer and then the bass boat would go out until their partner backed the trailer into the water. This happened a few times and then I just pulled in next to the ramp and as I went to get my trailer a guy was backing his trailer in and hollered at me for being in the way!
I was very nervous at this point and did a bad job of getting my boat out of the water. A couple of guys saw what happened and came over to help me adjust my boat on the trailer. Hats of to those two fellows for helping me. The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth for the tournament. Are all tournaments like that at the end?
Tori

MrSimon

Re: Bass Tournament on Saturday, Oct. 15

Post by MrSimon » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:34 am

Don't sweat it. You just had some bad luck on timing and came in right in the middle of the mayhem. It's pretty normal for the ramp to get nuts when everyone is trying to get in and weigh their fish.

Tournament guys tend to "line up" out in the water and let their buddy bring the truck down. They don't tie off at the dock cause it just jams things up when dozens of boats are coming out. The buddy backs the truck down, the boat driver jams it on the trailer, and the buddy pulls up and out. It's quick, easy, and doesn't block anything.

You didn't do anything wrong and I'm glad some others helped you out. Taking out in that environment can be VERY frustrating and stressful.

The Black Lake ramp is really tough because there isn't anywhere to tie your boat up that DOESN'T block the ramp. Actually, that ramp really is awful. There are tiny little electric-only lakes where I live that have bigger and better ramps than Black.

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:01 pm

Just another happening that shows the bad side of Tournaments. It's bad enough when Bass tournaments are held and a sport becomes negative for the fish and an all out love for prize money. You get to see the seflessness that exists out there with these individuals. Really sad. Catch & Release !!

492VS

Post by 492VS » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:24 pm

I have my own launch now. But I can tell you from the twenty years of renting. Upon arrival on Saturday for the week we learned to wait till 5 pm before going to the public launch to float the vessel. The cluster f$&k of bull poop from 3-4 was comical. A few times boats were backed up onto CR 6.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:58 pm

492VS wrote:I have my own launch now. But I can tell you from the twenty years of renting. Upon arrival on Saturday for the week we learned to wait till 5 pm before going to the public launch to float the vessel. The cluster f$&k of bull poop from 3-4 was comical. A few times boats were backed up onto CR 6.
Yep. It's fun just to go and watch the "circus", at times.
Phil

Tori

Post by Tori » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:18 pm

Thanks for all the replies dealing with bass tournaments on Black Lake.
Where was the weigh in? Where do they release the fish?
Thanks, Tori

492VS

Post by 492VS » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:39 pm

From what I have seen they just release them at the launch. Nothing special. From the dock. I would hate to see someone let them go from the wall.