Lake Levels

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Phil
Site Admin

Lake Levels

Post by Phil » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:56 am

Lots of rain last Friday/Saturday - The lake is rising rather quickley - being filled from both ends currently.
Phil

njmike

Re: Lake Levels

Post by njmike » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:49 pm

Lets see what winter / spring brings. How would you rate this years late summer / fall water level? Some posted it was about average for the time of year and others said they hadn't seen it that low in 20 years. If its about normal I will place my dock out a bit further next year.

Thanks,
mike
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:07 pm

Pretty dry summer months - I'd say lower, on average, than normal - I don't know about lower than in 20 years.
Phil

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:28 am

The water level this past season didn't seem that much lower than where it normally is in the summer, despite the lack of rain. It was very stable also....The water coming in at both ends is concerning to me though. I don't think that was natures intentions for this lake.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:47 pm

Randy, The flow of water into the lake is all about nature and the water levels. Happens, generally 2 or 3 times a year. Strange to see the bouys at the causeway tipped the "other way".
I maintain that there is no man-made controls that affect the water levels of Black Lake. Maybe the causeway changes the flow a bit, but that's about all.
Phil

Tori

Post by Tori » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:20 pm

Phil,
Is the "causeway" the area where the Oswagotchie flows with the north end of the lake?
Some people I have talked to have said that the north end of the lake is also part of the Indian River.....so we have a south Indian River and a north part of the same river??
Thanks, Tori

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:55 pm

Phil....When I went to the Black Lake association meeting in July, someone brought up the topic of the water level fluctuations and the effect the power generation downstream might be having on the lake. It was basically listed as a topic to be researched. All you have to do is look at a map and see that this lake and the Oswegatchie are a confluence that naturally flows out into the St. Lawrence. The only way I can see why the water would ever flow south toward the bridge is if it is being redirected and not allowed to flow out.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:20 pm

Water level in the lake is lower than the Oswegatchie. Simple. The BL Assn. argument is age old. The dam is not holding back water to the lake. Watch the flow at ElWire bridge.
Phil

Tori

Post by Tori » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:42 pm

Phil, can you answer my questions?
Thanks Mr. Ice Fisherman!
Tori

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:51 am

Tori,
The causeway is at Edwardsville. Black Lake is a natural glacial flow of water. Generally fed from the indian RIver and its' chain of lakes. The lake "begins" at the south end where the Indian River dumps into it. Just above Mile Arm Bay; and ends at the confluence with the Oswegatchie River at the North end.
A great body of water! 8)
Phil

RochNY

Post by RochNY » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:22 pm

I attended the annual membership meeting of the Black Lake Association in July. It was one of our members who brought up the question on whether or not the flow and hence the lake level was man-regulated. As past president and a current board member, I can tell you that we do not hold that the water levels and flow in Black Lake are anything other than natural, gravitational flow of water from higher points to lower points. Hence, sometimes the water flows in at the downstream (north) end while continuing to flow in at the Indian River end (south).

Lake levels are considered to be 'Normal' Summer levels when the lake surface is 272 feet above sea level according to the U.S. Geological Survey. I looked into getting a gaging station installed by U.S.G.S. on the causeway to enable monitoring of lake levels--helps with hidden rocks you know. The cost (which would be shared) is about $20,000. Right now the Black Lake Association is spending most all of its assets to fund (along with a wonderful three year grant from NYS) a boat inspection steward program at the Boat Launch on Rt. 6.

Maybe sometime in the future we can partner with the Black Lake Fish and Game Association to raise funds for a gaging station that would enable us to know the relative water level in any liquid season.

Sincerely,

Rich Henderson
Preserve, Protect, Enhance Black Lake Every Day

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:17 pm

RochNY wrote:Right now the Black Lake Association is spending most all of its assets to fund (along with a wonderful three year grant from NYS) a boat inspection steward program at the Boat Launch on Rt. 6.
I'd like to hear more about that. I've never seen anyone at the ramp checking boats. I assume this is designed to stop the spread of invasive species?

I should start going to these meetings to see where my money is going.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:30 pm

Put a calibrated "stick" in the lake and aim a web cam at it. I get a really good idea of the level by watching the current CAMs.
Phil

njmike

Post by njmike » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:52 pm

Great idea. Way cheaper than 20k
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:29 pm

So if the Oswegatchie is higher than Black Lake, wouldn't that be due to the dams having raised it? Which I still see as an artificial influence on the lake. Maybe the power company should be paying for a gaging station and be more considerate of this lake.