End of the week report 8/11/18 to 8/16/18

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

fishnick

End of the week report 8/11/18 to 8/16/18

Post by fishnick » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:15 am

The week isn't quite completed but since we will be leaving after fishing tomorrow morning I will issue my final report now. This has been the second straight year of disappointing results on an August trip to Black Lake. The bite has been incredibly slow and very inconsistent. We caught a few nice sized large mouth bass, pike and walleye, but worked really hard for each fish. We will try to move our annual trip up into July and hope for better fishing results next year. It appears that fishing is becoming more difficult on the lake and weed and water level fluctuations are contributing to that. Water clarity was a real issue all week due to high levels of suspended solids. Every year brings different conditions but I am concerned about the quality of the fishing which has dramatically worsened the last few years. Catch and release can help, but other water quality aspects need to be researched to help maximize the fishery. Perhaps someone can get the Syracuse School of Environment and Forestry to do some research on the system to improve water quality and the overall fishery. Just an idea.

njmike

Re: End of the week report 8/11/18 to 8/16/18

Post by njmike » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:53 am

Sorry to hear about the poor fishing, hopefully non fishing activities helped out. I find that fishing in August is usually a bit more difficult. Here is my opinion on why (especially this year) no rain: lack of rain leads to less water movement, stagnant water that normally becomes more discolored. High water temps: August arguably the hottest month water temp wise. I know when it's almost 100F and I've been in the heat all day I barely eat. It takes energy to digest food no matter if you're a person or fish. Fishing pressure: fish have seen a ton of lures by this time of year. This is not just a BL problem. I find the same situation on my home waters in NJ.

This is what I do to have better luck this time of year. first and most importantly sleep in, fishing at sun up till its to hot doesn't work. instead go out at dusk and fish until you are tired (2 OR 3am). night fishing now is fantastic. next is if you're fishing in low light use noisy lures. since the water is discolored call the fish in. Night topwater fishing is some of the most exciting fishing you can do and has produced some really big fish. lastly continually change what you're doing when not catching. the lake is loaded with fish so if they're not on your hook it's cause they don't like your hook.

Best of luck next time.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
D. Larson

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:11 am

I agree, August is the worst month to fish. Even in winter the fishing is better than in August.

But I promise, the lake is absolutely packed with healthy and fat 14-18" bass, with enough giants to keep it interesting.

In my opinion there are three reasons the fishing gets so tough in late Summer.

Hot weather and water, 24/7 fishing pressure for months on end, and unlimited food for the fish. There are more small perch and panfish in this lake than any other lake I've ever been to. Black Lake fish are funny. They eat aggressively for a few short bursts during the day and then get lockjaw the rest of the time.

Its tough, you can pound away at the lake for hours and days at a time to pick up only a few odd fish ..... then all of the sudden something turns on and you catch 40 fish in 90 minutes. Then it shuts off again.

In August you have to fish at dusk, at night, in the rain, or right before a storm. Those are your best shots. But that's hard when you are here for only a week. You end up fishing all day because that's why you came. But honestly, you're chances of great fishing for most of that time on the water are pretty low.

EDIT: Oh, and try live bait, fishing deeper and slower, and try unusual spots. Out of the box thinking works on this lake!!!

fishnick

Post by fishnick » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:21 pm

Thank you for your replies. All good ideas and reasons for finicky fish. Yes we have fished those bursts of fish feeding frenzy, probably a stretch. Times ever gamefish seems on the feed only to be followed by days of lock has. Storms, wind, toxic algae bloom, fishing pressure and water color and temperature all factor into the dog days of August fishing, but water quality issues may contribute that could be controlled at some level. Worth a look see. We will try to fish earlier in the season and perhaps look at some night fishing although we old guys don't see to well in the dark!

492VS

Post by 492VS » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:31 am

Move around. Try different locations. We drove way up north to cleaner water and decent weeds and absolutely crushed them. Not one of my excellent spots south of edwinsville bridge had decent weed patches on them this year, and has not produced anything. Just have to scout around.

As said above rarely have I hit the morning bite. I was just telling my son. Dang it would be nice to catch a few at the first stop vice grinding it out with nothing for the first few hours.

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:42 pm

I just finished up a week at the lake. I took all of my own advice and still has horrible fishing. They just wouldn't bite.

I tried shallow, deep, early, late, night, in the rain, at noon .... and every bait I have. A dozen or so crappie, a few dozen panfish, and about 5 bass. Granted, I was fishing with between two and four kids in the boat and only fished a few hours per day.

Anyway, the water clarity is awful. It's straight pea soup. Literally, the lake is green.

But holy cow did I mark a ton of fish. I drove around in deep water and founds MASSIVE schools of fish suspending. They wouldn't even bite a worm on their nose. I mean REALLY big schools of fish.

Oh well, we won't be fishing in August any time soon again. October can't come soon enough.