fishing rpt. 5/16-5/23 Crappie

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

wishin fishin

fishing rpt. 5/16-5/23 Crappie

Post by wishin fishin » Thu May 23, 2019 10:23 am

We arrived the morn. of 5/16 the weather was cool & overcast but the sun starting peak through. The reports up to that point was for the past 3-days no boats were able to get on the water because of high winds. The crappie were in prespawn mode, so we jigged and used a minnows. . We got out on the 16th and did pretty well 75 among 4-guys but, you had to search them out. We were told this was the first day guys started getting them. The water is high - I've seen it higher but, its high! a lot of islands have their shorelines covered by 2-3' The next day, the same, sun came out again very cool, the water temp range was 59-62 degrees. On Sunday the winds blew from the north and no one was able to get out all day. Mon. we were able to get out and caught some good sized ones. My largest was 13". There were a lot of small ones out there as well, case in point, in one of my favorite bays I caught over 30 fish swimming a jig, 85% were under 9" that was thrown back but was able to salvage 5 nice keepers. All in all we did well. I would say the bite has about another 2-weeks as the water temps and weather pattern has not been stable. So you will have to work for them. I did 50/50 with a jig & minnow.