Water level

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

bluetoes
Newly Registered User

Water level

Post by bluetoes » Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:26 pm

We were at Black Lake for a week at the end of June for the first time. We were told the water level was down about 2 feet, and fishing was very tough. Has the water level risen closer to normal since then?

Also, we heard this was an "underutilized" lake. Maybe it was because of the Canadian border closing, but the lake was seriously crowded. We were only able to get a cottage because of a cancellation. Every resort was full. Is this normal?

Now that the Canadian border closing has been extended again, we plan to return in mid September. Any thoughts or hints?

Thanks

JPFC-Smitty
Newly Registered User

Re: Water level

Post by JPFC-Smitty » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:40 pm

Any updates on the water/fishing conditions? :?:
-------------------------------------------------
I've managed to convince my wife that
somewhere in the Bible it says, 'Man cannot
have too many shotguns and fishing poles.'

- Norman Schwarzkopf

492VS

Post by 492VS » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:06 pm

In its hey day here. Most cabins are rented by visitors coming up here 30 plus years or more during the peak times ( school off). Most reserve that same week Next year before they depart. It was tough to crack into an opening week of bass season. I was one till I purchased a place.

As to water level. It might have come up a few inches since then. Not really noticeable, all depends upon rainfall.

Not sure what you are fishing for but if for bass. Pound the banks with square bill crank baits or white spinner baits. In the weeds. Well black blue jig and trailer. If bite is tough, weed edges with senko. Honestly that info work from June till October. That’s All I throw and could exhaust you looking at 3 lb plus fish pictures.

Fishpro

Post by Fishpro » Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:11 am

Black Lake UNDER UTILIZED ? Never heard that. In reality Black Lake is over utilized and over fished. I am a proud owner of a camp on the Lake and have been coming to the lake since the mid fifties. As for the lake water level, it is at the normal summer level. Fishing is best during this time of the year at dawn and in the evenings. If the lake is calm use surface lures. Should the lake be kicking up use Rebel crabs. Catch & Release