The future of Black Lake

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Line Wetter

The future of Black Lake

Post by Line Wetter » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:43 am

My family will be coming up in a month. We have hardly missed a summer on Black lake in 30+ years. As a matter of fact, my grandfather (86yo) missed his first year last year in 30 years, but he will be back at it this July (Lord willing). The lake has seemed to have taken a turn for the worst over the past decade. We had some amazing trips in the 90s through the 2000s, but around 2015 or so, things have really taken a turn for the worst. What's happening??!! :cry:

We are primarily bass fisherman. We used to do a lot of drift fishing across the bays along weed lines and pick them up all the way across. You didn't hammer them all the time, but you had enough action to keep you occupied and entertained, and it was fun to fish where others were not generally fishing as much. If one does that now, you might go an entire morning without a single take. If you want action these days the only option you have is to hit the points. That works, but that's also where everyone else goes. Maybe it's the weeds, or maybe its something else, but from what I can tell, the bass are crowded on the rock points and so are the fishermen. It makes for a disaster of over harvests, especially when you have idiots bringing in stringers of them day after day for their entire weeklong stay. Don't get me wrong, I love bass fillets, and we usually keep a couple fish per person (self imposed slot limit between 15'' and 17'') but that's far from bringing in 10 per day for 4 or 5 days like we see boneheads (primarily hicks from Pennsylvania) do every year!

So what gives? I've heard all the theories. I've heard over harvest. I've heard it's the weeds (invasive). I've heard its the countless tournaments and the fact that these fish are getting displaced due to not getting released back at the catch location. I've also heard that the bridge in Edwardsville is restricting the flow (natural current and wind driven) that historically helped flush the lake, slowing eutrophication. Whatever it is, I think some significant research needs to be had to figure it out.

Black Lake used to be a fisherman's paradise, but I'm afraid it's turning into a fisherman's purgatory.

Tight lines!

Line Wetter
Keep those Lines WET!

Bugbottle

Re: The future of Black Lake

Post by Bugbottle » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:34 pm

I know what you mean the last two years have been terrible for me. I'm going up next week, but for the first time in many years I thought about not going to black lake. I'm hoping this year will be like it used to be. I never keep any fish, but I sure enjoy catching them.

MrSimon

Post by MrSimon » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:07 pm

I've been fishing the lake for 20 years. I even owned a cabin on the lake for 5 years. I've thought about this question a ton and have concluded the answer is very simple.

Pressure and over-harvest have killed this lake.

I'm sure water quality, weather patterns, agricultural run-off etc etc play a part, but the main reason is pressure and over-harvest. The lakes gets massive pressure all year. Pike through the ice, early season bull-head and crappie, spring bass, summer panfish, nighttime walleye. It just doesn't stop. There are hundreds of boats on the lake all day every day from May through September. Even more importantly, for some reason there is a pervasive culture of catch-and-keep amongst the locals, the camp guests, and the Amish community. The state doesn't seem to care because lower creel limits and slot limits would re-vitalize the lake in short order.

The Black Lake community is filled with a bunch of great people, but unfortunately they lack the resources or the motivation to enact any change.

PAWPAW COLLECTOR
Newly Registered User

Post by PAWPAW COLLECTOR » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:02 pm

I have fished on Black Lake every year since 1958 when I was 5 years old. Have seen many changes over the years, but never would say the lake is dead. I have fished with Roy Apple, possibly the best guide on the lake, in the 60s and early 70s. We learned much from him. Last year I caught the most big bass of any one year. My biggest pike ever on the lake last August. This year is starting off well also. Day two of bass season I boated three smallies and a large mouth that totaled over 12 lbs. And many fish under 15 inches.
I have fished on Conesus and Honeoye Lakes and many others but still catch more fish on Black Lake.
Looking forward to a trip to the cottage soon.
Bruce

Line Wetter

Post by Line Wetter » Thu Jul 13, 2023 2:18 pm

Thanks for responding Mr.Simon. I know there are other forms of communicating these days, but this forum is a great way to capture thoughts and ideas and hold on to them. Too bad it's not used more often.

I don't necessarily think you are wrong in your thinking, but to be honest, pressure has been a part of this lake for more than a hundred years. I know technology, fishing techniques, etc. have come a long way, but everything else being equal, wouldn't we have seen a decline prior to the 2000s? I can only assume (and you know what assuming can do to you) but I would have thought catch-and-keep would have been more frequent in the early years than now.

Pressure for sure is a major culprit, but what has changed to make the lake less able to handle the pressure?
Keep those Lines WET!

sickntired

Post by sickntired » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:30 pm

I've been fishing Black Lake every year since 1983. A few years ago, 2015 I believe, there was a huge alge bloom on the lake. Dead and sick fish everywhere. For all the fish you saw floating, there was alot more dead on the bottom. I spoke with Jigger Jim at the time and he agreed that this bloom was devastating. The water was pea green and warm as pee. The two years prior, to this, the fishing was the best it's ever been. Since that alge bloom the lake is the worst it's ever been. I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned that alge bloom. Just my opinion and observations.

GuidedBassTrips

Post by GuidedBassTrips » Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:13 am

The future of Black Lake totally hinges on the raising of money period. The county likes to boast about the 16 million annual tourism dollars and then cry the budget blues. They've been collecting a 3% bed tax off the lodging for years and it goes into the general fund. How about giving back to this lake?

I expressed my opinion at a meeting a couple years ago that the Edwardsville causeway was the biggest environmental mistake of this lake. I call it the Edwardsville dam. Was told $10 million to replace it. That would be pocket change at Lake George or the Finger Lakes.

The association does the best they can with what they have but somebody needs to step up to plate and get serious funding for this lake.
Give a starving man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Musky hunter

Post by Musky hunter » Sat Jul 15, 2023 10:56 am

All concerned may also want to contact Region 6 DEC and express your opposition to forcing Brookfield Renewable to construct a fish ladder around the last dam isolating Black Lake from the St. Lawrence River and it's invasives.
I know the Bass fishermen may welcome the gobies but they are overlooking the big picture damage they bring.
Also VHS (Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia) and sea lampries.
I know it's popular today to provide fish ladders around dams but this move may well provide much more harm than good.
I've been fishing Black Lake for over 65 years now and it has changed a lot, mostly for the good.
We need to remember that nature is constantly changing.