heading up to BL this weekend for first time

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

warchild

heading up to BL this weekend for first time

Post by warchild » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:15 pm

I booked this weekend trip back on July. my friend and I are staying at Indian Head Point Fri-Sat and Sun. Just renting the small boat for the weekend..I just jhope we dont get run down by one of the bass boats fishing the tourny...lol! Ive been on this site for a few months now gahtering as much knowledge of BL that I can. I would like to take the moment to Thank all the locals and frequent posters to this site. You guys have taken much of the guesswork out of fishing a new lake. we are just looking for some stedy action..and if luck goes our way, maybe even an official "Black Lake Bruiser".

Upon my return back from the lake, I will certainly post a detailed report of our weekend, and being a mechanical designer by trade..Im sure the report will be pretty detailed...hehe

mitchr

Post by mitchr » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:49 pm

Good luck Warchild! I am going up with a couple guys the weekend of the 26th and hoping to have nice weather and some decent fishing.

I'm looking forward to you report.

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:37 pm

Good luck my friend. Hey...since your so detailed, can you sum up what this site has taught you, cuz I'll be damned if I didn't fish 4 hours yesterday and only caught one LM. lol But seriously, good luck. One thing I am trying to get better at is something Jerry wrote here that I have never forgotten. Jerry, you must know, is the biggest contributer to this site with a wealth of knowlege. He wrote that he tries his favorite 8 or so rods already set up with his 8 favorite go to lures..about ten times a piece and then moves location. I will spend hours using my favorite lure in my favorite spot without catching anything before I learn to move on and try new areas and new techniques. No matter what worked one day, weather, timing, and many other factors..might not work today. Black lake is huge...try a lot of places and don't get hung up on what we all said works. Do your own thing and have fun. I am already excited to see your report.

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:13 pm

Rajincajun, you have a good point. If the fish are not active in the places you want them to be, don't waste too much time. Chances are if you keep moving you will find some that will play ball. However fishing is all about having fun, so if you are happy to work the heck out of your favorite place and go home empty handed so be it. I like the run and gun approach myself but it may not be the most enjoyable way to fish for people who like to relax and enjoy the outdoors. When I want to slow down and relax a bucket of minnows in a secluded bay is enough to keep me happy. Lets just not forget that fishing is fun, so do whatever makes you happy and enyoy yourself. Of coarse catching a ton of fish makes the trip all the better :lol:

warchild

Post by warchild » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:06 am

thanks guys.

Ragin - I only meant that the info was a good starting point for the lake..areas, rigs, lures, etc. you are totally correct though...fishing should be fun, leave the hard work up to the pros who get paid to fish.

We have a rough game plan for what islands and areas we want to visit, but weather, fishing pressure will dictate the outcome. I am one to not keep a lure on more then 15-20 casts, then try a few others (deep and shallow) then if nothing..move on. I have an assortmant of Senkos (wacky bands too), top water and live bait rigs. I was wondering this though? after reading many posts here, does anyone use live minnow rigs? We plan on having two poles a piece going at all times...one with just minnow under small bobber and the other will be casting lures at every pocket in thew weeds we can locate.

so far looks like decent weather (fingers crossed).

3 days to go!....Snap...Strike....Zizzzzzz....FISH ON!!!!

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:58 am

hey....never got to hear the story of how your visit went. Also, as I was reading this again, I see no one replied to your question on live minnows. I have never used live bait until Ice fishing this year. I am now interested in using it as a second pole this summer like you described. Curious for anyone to comment and to hear how warchild's trip was.

Niagara-eyes

Post by Niagara-eyes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:34 am

I usually have had more success fishing artificial lures on BL for gamefish. However there have been times when fishing slows down that I have slowly trolled large shiners or sucker minnows and enticed an extra fish or to from an area. After changing color on a lure that was working, I will next change lure style for another 10-15 casts. If no hits I will switch to live minnows and use the electric motor to slowly troll around the area the fish wee hitting. If still nothing.....time to move. I don't usually use crawlers or leeches due to the abundant panfish, however the new gulp baits are worth a try,too.

crazykuter

muskies

Post by crazykuter » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:35 pm

anyone have a good idea of where i might hook on to a muskie in black lake? or do i have a better chance heading up the oswagatchie?

Niagara-eyes

Post by Niagara-eyes » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:02 pm

You might want to try the deeper water (actually about 10-12 feet) in the northern part of the lake from out in front of Mitchell bay northwards until it shallows out to 7-8 feet. I saw a picture of a 30lb muskie caught in this area and have also seen them jump here. I have wanted to try trolling this area, especially in the fall, but have never had the chance.

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:07 am

For my trip up this year, I was toying with the thought of using one heavy rod with the largest suckers I can find. Was planning on just leaving it out there while fishing my normal tackle for bass. Just thought that if I only caught one fish all week on it that it just might produce the biggest pike or perhaps musky that I will catch all week. Anybody else tried this?

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:22 am

Nope. Never tried it. But after ice fishing all winter and using minnows sunday after sunday, I had planned on getting some minnows and putting one a pole to hang off the boat while fishing my other tackle. Seems like we are thinking the same.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:12 am

Hang a "BIG" shiner or sucker under a BIG float just over the top of the weeds, early in the season.
Phil

wildchild

Post by wildchild » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:57 am

Thanks guys. I'm going to give it a shot. Just hope I can find bait big enough, I was thinking at least 6 inches but would perfer 10.

crazykuter

muskie tips

Post by crazykuter » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:50 am

thanks for the advice guys, good luck yourselves and have a great summer season.