Perch Fishing

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

ragincajun

Perch Fishing

Post by ragincajun » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:33 pm

So. Went perch fishing saturday on black lake. No luck. Went perch fishing today on Chippewa bay and caught 21. Where on black lake is perch fishing good?

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Perch Fishing

Post by Phil » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:42 pm

ragincajun wrote:So. Went perch fishing saturday on black lake. No luck. Went perch fishing today on Chippewa bay and caught 21. Where on black lake is perch fishing good?
Where on chippewa bay did you go - any size to the perch you were catching? I've been fishing the Ogdensburg area of the river and it's tough getting some "Keepers", maybe one in ten.
I do not know where the perch fishing would be good on the lake. Where did you try? I think I would hit the area along Booth's Island, down from the causeway.
Phil

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:54 pm

Fished Chippewa all winter ice fishing. We enter chippewa directly across 37 continuing on the road from black lake straight through hammond. So today with the boat, we drifted the bay from south to north. The winds were strong. Didn't catch much in the beginning until we anchored to slow us as the anchor dragged along the bottom. We caught 21 and 18 were from 9 inches to 12. So yes...there were keepers.

Phil
Site Admin

Post by Phil » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:04 pm

ragincajun wrote:Fished Chippewa all winter ice fishing. We enter chippewa directly across 37 continuing on the road from black lake straight through hammond. So today with the boat, we drifted the bay from south to north. The winds were strong. Didn't catch much in the beginning until we anchored to slow us as the anchor dragged along the bottom. We caught 21 and 18 were from 9 inches to 12. So yes...there were keepers.
I'll be the water is a bit warmer in that bay than down here in the main flow of the river?
Phil

funtimesBL

Post by funtimesBL » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:17 pm

I have had some success over by Devils Graveyard. It was about 5 years ago when we ran into a school of perch. Some real nice ones too.

kevgreen20

Post by kevgreen20 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:54 pm

How are the perch you are catching are they grubby, and if not is it in the meat. I will never keep the perch due to the amount of grubs on them, also have been noticing them on the Sunfish and gills

ragincajun

Post by ragincajun » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:36 pm

Nope. Not gruby yet. We kept about 25 perch every sunday over the winter and maybe found one or two grubs out of the fish that day. We just cut them out of the meat. Nothing bad at all. Ones we caught this past Sunday in the boat, we didn't check as we didn't keep them. Were fishing for fun.