Bullheads and Crappies

Fishing Reports and Lake Conditions Only. Ask your questions and post remarks in the General Forum Please.

Moderators: Daves, admin, Phil, billbo

Flukeman

Bullheads and Crappies

Post by Flukeman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:10 pm

In a couple of weekends I will be heading up for my annual bullhead shindig at McClears. Have either species started biting yet or is it still pretty cold up there?
Jeff Edgarton
Youth Director Good Ole Boys Jr. BASS Club

Phil
Site Admin

Re: Bullheads and Crappies

Post by Phil » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Flukeman wrote:In a couple of weekends I will be heading up for my annual bullhead shindig at McClears. Have either species started biting yet or is it still pretty cold up there?
They are biting - water is at 53 today.
Phil

Flukeman

Post by Flukeman » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:39 pm

I can't wait, heading up Thursday afternoon!
Jeff Edgarton
Youth Director Good Ole Boys Jr. BASS Club

Tori

bullheads

Post by Tori » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:36 pm

Anyone got any tricks to make bullheads bite?? Weighted mesh bag of dog food down to the bottom and then fish over it when the bullheads come for the food??

Take your anchor and pound the bottom in a certain area that you want to fish and stir up the water....catch the bullheads when they come to eat stuff stirred up???

Fish for bullhead near the head of a stream that enters the lake??

Anyone try these things or have other "secrets"??

Tori

Phil
Site Admin

Re: bullheads

Post by Phil » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:31 pm

Tori wrote:Anyone got any tricks to make bullheads bite?? Weighted mesh bag of dog food down to the bottom and then fish over it when the bullheads come for the food??

Take your anchor and pound the bottom in a certain area that you want to fish and stir up the water....catch the bullheads when they come to eat stuff stirred up???

Fish for bullhead near the head of a stream that enters the lake??

Anyone try these things or have other "secrets"??

Tori
I always just fished a worm on bottom. Bottom has to be mud and if the wind is blowing inland it stirs the mud and makes for a perfect set-up.
That's my method.
Phil

jwd121

Post by jwd121 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:53 pm

Fished for other species on Black Lake except for Bullheads. Anyone out there have a suggestion on what part of the lake would be best to start? I already have a hot spots map and they have a few spots marked but was hoping for a location that someone who actually had some sucess.

Tori

Post by Tori » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:11 pm

Fish for bullheads on the south end of the lake near shore in shallow water. That is where the 19 boats caught almost 3,000 of the critters last weekend in their tournament.
Tori

Curt In Heuvy

Post by Curt In Heuvy » Sun May 02, 2010 1:18 am

holy cow that is alot fo bullhead. hate to be the man on that cleaning detail. at an average of 157 bullhead a boat that is a good time. i fish for them near heuvelton sometimes there are cood nights but the size is much smaller than the lakers. around here we catch mostly 7 to 8 inch yellow bellies. i hope to fish bullhead in the lake form the boat soon. i need to get a second anchor so the boat dosen't try to spin.

i have to mention, while cat fishing tonight a very large fish jumped out of the water about thirdy yard away. it was eather a large pike or a muskie. i don't recall seeing either jumping before. this fish was longer than my arm and it jumped twice. has anyone ever seen a pike or muskie jump like that. it seemed that it was trying to eat a flying bug. boy it was a beautifully large fish.